Summary: Have you ever come across USB drive detected but not accessible problem? If ‘Yes’ then do not worry about it, just like I have provided solutions on how to fix/remove “Read Only” error of USB, SD card & hard drive – similarly, in this post, I am providing very effective solutions on how to fix USB drive detected but not accessible issue. Just go through the solutions mentioned below.
But before you proceed further to fix not accessible USB drive, you must first use USB drive data recovery software, to recover and keep backup of files – just to avoid data loss.
With the help of USB Drive Data recovery software, you can:
- Retrieve photos, videos and audio files from inaccessible USB drive.
- Also restore digital media files from inaccessible SD card, flash drive, & external hard disk.
- Preview recoverable files within the software before final recovery.
- 100% read-only program, safe, risk free and secure to use.
* Free version of the program only scans and previews recoverable objects.
Alright coming back to the topic, let’s start with real user scenario!
User Example: USB Drive Recognized But Files Cannot Be Opened
USB detected but not accessible.
I’m having a problem where whenever I connect one of my USB drives and go to This PC, this shows up. It plays the sound effect for when you plug something in and everything. This only happens with one of my drives, my other two work just fine (but AutoPlay doesn’t work for any of them, can’t figure that out either). I’m not sure why this is happening, yesterday the same drive worked fine. I’ve read that I should change the drive letter, but I can’t because this is what shows up in disk management. Help would be greatly appreciated.
– Original Post from Reddit
USB drive detected but not accessible is common problem particularly with new USB drive. However, you may also encounter the same issue with external storage devices such as hard drives, memory cards, pen drives, memory stick or flash drives. Due to this problem, whenever we connect external storage device with PC, it gets detected easily, but it doesn’t allow us to access files or data stored within it.
Fortunately, this problem can be solved by following below solutions. It is suggested that you must follow the solution one by one and check if your problem is fixed or not.
Additional Reading: How To Recover Files From USB Drive Without Formatting It?
Solutions To Solve USB Drive Detected But Not Accessible Issue
So, if you are encountering the same issue in which your USB drive is detected but not showing or inaccessible in “My Computer”, then you can follow below-mentioned troubleshooting to fix this issue.
1. General Troubleshooting – Check USB Port
Before, you try any other technical solution, you must first check the USB port on your computer. Try to plug your USB in another USB port of your PC – if it works on another port then, the first USB port might be dead. If you are using a USB hub, then connect the drive directly and see if it is working or not – it is because some of the USB hubs are not able to provide enough power supply to function external drive.
If still, the drive doesn’t show up in “My Computer”, then connect it to another PC’s USB port, just to check whether the drive itself has got bad or corrupt or your PC has certain problems. You must check your drive appear in the computer’s Disk Management window. If it does not show up then you might be using a dead drive that needs replacement.
Additional Reading: [Solved]: USB Drive Error “Please Insert A Disk Into Removable Disk”
2. Does your USB drive appears in My Computer
When you say USB detected but not accessible, then does it means that drive not allowing to access data stored within it or the drive detected but it is not showing up in My Computer.
When you said USB detected but not accessible, do you mean the pen drive not showing data or the pen drive detected but not showing in My Computer?
(i) If USB drive detected but you are not able to access it
If this is the case that your USB is recognized by computer, but you are not able to open files and folders stored within it, then it is recommended that you must use USB Drive Data Recovery famous as photo recovery software. It is capable enough to restore inaccessible files from USB, external hard drive, memory cards that gets detected but not accessible.
This Digital Media Recovery tool, will help you to restore almost all files format of photos, videos and audio. This also restore files from write protected USB, locked memory cards, virus infected and corrupted USB flash drive. So, download this USB drive recovery software and get back inaccessible data.
Additional Reading: How To Recover RAW USB Drive Data on Windows/Mac?
(ii) If USB drive detected but not showing up in My Computer
This is what you should do, if your drive is detected but not showing in My Computer. Check if it appears in Disk Management.
Does not have any idea how to do it? Check below steps:
- To open Disk Management, click Start and type diskmgmt.msc in the search bar and hit ENTER.
- Now, Disk Management will get open, here you can check whether your USB is showing up or not.
3. Does your USB drive show up in Disk Management?
(i) If USB drive show up in Disk Management
If your USB appear in Disk Management but it is not accessible, then it means that drive got corrupted or there is error in the disk.
In this case, follow the below steps to fix this problem:
- Click Start> type msc in search bar and hit ENTER.
- This will open Computer Management.
- Now click on “Disk Management” located on the left hand menu.
- In the Disk Management option, you can see the list of hard drive, this will also display your USB drive. Now right click on your USB drive and select “Change Drive letter and paths”.
- A small window will pop-up. Click on “change” and assign a new drive letter name to your USB. Always remember that you must assign the name which is not being used by any other drive.
Once drive letter name changed, your USB drive will show up in My Computer and you will able to access data from it. If not then reboot your system and then check.
In major cases, this solution have seems to work great. However, if your USB does not appear even after following the above steps then it is suggested that you must use USB drive file recovery software as mentioned above to recover files from USB drive and after recovery you can proceed further to format or repair the drive.
(ii) If USB drive doesn’t show up in Disk Management
If your USB drive is detected but it doesn’t appear in Disk Management, then you can need to update the driver software. Below follow the steps to do this.
- Go to “My Computer” and click on “System Properties” and then on Device Manager located on left pane.
- Device Manager window will get open. Now, next to “USB controller” click on the Plus (+)
- You will see a yellow exclamation mark. Right click and select “update driver software” and choose “automatically search for driver software online“.
Now simply wait and let driver to get installed on your PC. Once driver get installed, reboot your computer and then reconnect your USB and see whether you are able to access files stored within it.
So, by now I hope you were able to fix the problem – USB drive is detected but not accessible. And you have also known that you can use USB drive data recovery software if in case you want to restore your important data from inaccessible USB drive.