Summary: If you are on this webpage, then it means you are looking for the solution on how to recover hidden files from memory cards (SD, SDXC, CF, SDHC, etc). Well, in this useful post I am going to describe on how to get back hidden files from memory card in both manual and automatic way, just read it till the end.
The automatic way is to use Photo Recovery Tool, with the help of this software, you can:
- Efficiently restore hidden, deleted, lost, missing media files (photos, videos & audio) from memory cards.
- Also retrieve hidden files from USB drives, hard drive, external hard drive, virus infected USB and other data storage devices.
- Preview recoverable media files within software before you proceed further to recover & save them on your PC.
- 100% safe and secure and easy to operate.
Rescue Hidden Media Files From Memory Card in Simple Steps
Memory cards are used to save and transfer files between different computer, smartphones, laptops and it is also used as backup to store personal pictures, movies, videos, music files, etc. But there are also several reasons that cause files and folders on Memory cards and USB drive to be hidden.
Additional Reading: Recover Hidden Pictures on Mac
Let us Take Real Example:
“I have taken almost 500 hundreds of images with my Samsung S6 and they were all saved in SD card. Well, I have a habit of hiding pictures and hence I used hide option to keep all the photos on the card hidden. One day I connected my memory card to my friend PC to transfer movie files but my card got infected with virus because his PC was compromised by virus that I didn’t know. Now I am not able to find my hidden photos. What to do now? I am feeling very angry because all my important and personal photos have gone. It would be highly appreciable if there any way to rescue hidden photos from my SD card?”
This was one real example. There are other several reasons through which users are losing or deleting their photos, videos and audio files from their memory cards. Some of them are mentioned below.
Additional Reading:[Solved]: “Blank SD Card or Has Unsupported File System” Error
Reasons for the Loss of Hidden Files from Memory Card
- Accidental Deletion: We often accidentally use “Delete All” option that deletes all files. Unknowingly, users might select all the files and mistakenly press ‘Delete All’ button. This result in the deletion of all files including hidden files.
- Formatting: There are several situations such as corruption of card, where users need to format the card in order to re-use it. But formatting the memory card will result in complete loss of files as well as hidden photos. (Also Read: Recover Photos from Formatted Memory Card)
- Virus Infection: When you connect card to the infected device then it can easily corrupt and delete data stored on your card including your hidden media files.
So, these are some common causes that lead to the deletion or loss of hidden and other media files from memory card. But when you suffer from such scenarios, you don’t need to panic. Just be calm down because there are still chances to get them back, built you need to stop using your card further form adding any new data on it, because adding new data will overwrite the existing data and the recovery of hidden will become almost impossible.
Additional Reading: How to Fix Missing or Unread Files Error from Memory Card
Below find out the two possible ways to rescue hidden media files (photos, videos and audio) from memory cards.
2 Ways To Recover Media Files [Photos, Video & Audio) From Memory Card
Way #1: Recover Hidden files from Card by Using CMD Command [Manual Method]
- Insert your memory card into card reader and connect it with PC
- Note down the name of the disk colon. For example, if you are memory card is named as D: then you have to type d: in the command
- Run command.
- If you are using Windows XP, click Start>Run. Type in ‘cmd’ and hit Enter.
- If you are using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 then press Window + R button together. You will see run box, type in ‘cmd’ and hit Enter
- Now type the following command: attrib -s -h /s /d *.* (or) attrib -h -s -r /s /d *.* (Note: there should be space after each letter)
- Now you can open your memory card and can easily access your hidden files and simply use copy and paste command to recover it
Additional Reading: Recover Files When SD Card Says “Folder is Empty”: [99.9% Success Rate]
[Video Tutorial]: How To Recover Hidden Files From Memory Card
Way #2: Retrieve Hidden Media Files from Memory Card Using Recovery Software [Automatic Method]
Photo Recovery Software is the perfect memory card hidden file recovery software for Windows/Mac that is designed to extract hidden photos (jpg/jpeg, png, tif/tiff, psd, gif, etc) videos (mp4, avi, mov, mkv, flv, wmv, etc) and audio (wav, amr, midi, aac, mp3, etc) files as well as show hidden files in sd memory card . The software also restores deleted, lost, missing, formatted, corrupted, hidden media files from USB flash drives, digital cameras, camcorders, smartphones, mobile phones, tablets and other data storage devices. It can effectively rescue hidden files from SanDisk, Lexar, Strontium, Samsung, Sony, HP, Transcend, Toshiba, Kingmax, Kingston and form other memory cards.
You can download the free trial version of the software that will scan your card and will display the preview of the recoverable media files and if you find your hidden files in the preview, you can then proceed further to purchase the full version of the tool to recover and save them on your PC or Mac.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- Recover Photos after Shift Delete
- Tips to Recover Files from Virus Infected Flash Drive
- How to Fix SD Card With Fatal Errors & Recover Media Files
- [Solved]: USB Drive Error “Please Insert A Disk Into Removable Disk”
- How To Recover Media Files From Memory Card Using CMD?
Step to Retrieve Hidden Media Files from Memory Card
Step 1 – Install “Digital Media Recovery’ tool and launch it. Click on “Recover Photo, Audio & Video” tab to recover images, songs and videos files from any SD card, external USB drive or computer hard drive. Connect the media to your computer and then perform the process.
Step 2 – Select the drive from which you want to recover files. The external media will be shown in the list, if not then click on “Refresh Drive” button. Now select the desired drive to scan and then click on “Scan Now”. If you want to customize the recovery on the basis of file types then click on “Advance Scan”.
Step 3 – In the Advanced Scan you will have the option to scan as per to the file list, such as Photo, Video and audio or you can also select the data range from the storage device. This option reduces the scanning process time.
Step 4 – Once you click on “Scan Now” button the software will show that scanning is in process. The recovered files listed in a tree structure on the left side of the window panel.
Step 5 – After scanning, you can select the files to preview them and then you can click on “Recover” button to finally save them on your computer.
Step 6 – Select the desired location on your computer to save the recovered files. The screenshot shows that the recovered files are being saved.
Additional Reading: 10 Tips To Avoid Memory Card Problems!!!
I hope by using any of the above methods had helped you in restoring your hidden pictures, videos and audio files from your memory card. If you ask me from the above solutions, I would recommend automatic method to get back hidden media files from card.
If you have found this post helpful and useful, then please do not forget to share it.