Summary: This post simply introduces what is lost.dir folder in Android devices and how to recover lost or missing files from LOST.DIR on external SD card used within the Android based phones and tablets.
If you just want to skip reading whole article, then simply use Photo Recovery, which is perfect SD card data recovery software. With the help of this software, one can:
- Retrieve lost, missing or unsaved digital media files from lost.dir folder on SD card.
- Restore photos, videos and audio files from lost.dir on SD memory card.
- Also restore multimedia files from all types and models of memory card, pen drive, digital camera, USB drive, hard drive.
- 100% read only program. Safe, secure and easy to use.
* Free version of the program only scans and previews recoverable objects.
Now let us know about LOST.Dir!
What is LOST.DIR?
LOST.DIR is a folder and it just like recycle bin that store files such as images, videos, audio files and other stuff and it help you to recover the lost or deleted data.
Sometimes, it happens that your Android device gets switched OFF while you are saving the files on your device or you might have pulled out the SD card when read write process was on progress. In such scenario, your device create LOST.DIR folder in the SD card, saving all the unsaved data. And from this LOST.DIR folder on SD memory card, you can easily restore back your missing and lost data.
Additional Reading: [Solved]: SD Card Won’t Format Write Protected
But what will happen if LOST.Dir folder gets deleted accidentally!
Let’s Take User Example:
Lost.dir on external SD – How to prevent and recover
I want to know the following: 1) how do i prevent my phone from auto deleting things or how do I prevent files from moving to the lost.dir folder 2) why did this happen
3) how do I recover them including the names etc 4) why can I not edit their names in the external SD card but can do it once I move them to the onboard memory (although only moveable through my PC) 5) is it better to just keep all my music and pics on my onboard memory?
– Original Post From Android Forums
In above example, users have mentioned several problems, but overall problem of the user is that he/she has lost files from lost.dir on external SD card and wants to recover it.
Similarly, there are several users out there encountering same kind of problems.
Additional Reading: Solved: SD Card is Damaged. Try Reformatting it.
But how they get into such problems?
Well, read below to find the reasons by yourself.
There are some mistakes done by the users and thereby they encounter such problems. The mistakes are:
- Ejecting the memory card from the device, while some files are in read write process.
- Removing the SD card improperly or abruptly out of the Android phone.
- Interruption while downloading files or incomplete downloads on Android device.
- Freezing or hanging of Android device operating system.
- Turning OFF the device while some files are in reading and writing process.
When users do any of these mistakes then, one may find that their files have been missing from Android device. In such situation, Android OS create LOST.DIR folders in which all such lost files, incompletely downloaded files are placed in. Hence, user can restore lost files from LOST.DIR when Android device is being booted.
But users find it very difficult to find the lost files because lost files moved to lost.dir system folder are saved with some random numbers and it is not saved or placed on some valid directory.
Additional Reading: How to Recover Data from SD Card Formatted as Internal Storage
The Best & Appropriate Solution To Recover LOST.DIR Files on SD Card
In order to recover lost or deleted files from LOST.DIR on SD card, one can take help of suitable SD Card Data Recovery software and one of such software is Photo Recovery. But you should apply this software immediately because any delay in recovery can cause permanent loss of files because missing or lost files can get overwritten by other data. Hence, all you need is Photo Recovery tool.
This tool, will help you to restore missing files such as photos, videos and audio files from LOST.DIR on SD card. This LOST.DIR folder recovery tool is designed with advanced technology that deeply scans the SD memory card and retrieves all types of multimedia files. The software allow preview feature so that you can preview and each and every recoverable files within the software before final recovery. So, what are you waiting for simply download the trial version of the software now and use it.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- How to Fix “SD card won’t Mount” Error on Android Device & PC
- [Solved]: “Blank SD Card or Has Unsupported File System” Error
- Recover Photos/Videos from Overwritten Micro SD Card on Windows/Mac
- How to Recover Photos from Android SD card on Windows/Mac?
- How to Recover Photos from Encrypted SD Card
Steps To Recover Lost or Missing Files From LOST.DIR on External SD Card
Step 1 – Install “Photo Recovery’ tool and launch it. Click on “Recover Photo, Audio & Video” tab to recover images, songs and videos files from any SD card, external USB drive or computer hard drive. Connect the media to your computer and then perform the process.
Step 2 – Select the drive from which you want to recover files. The external media will be shown in the list, if not then click on “Refresh Drive” button. Now select the desired drive to scan and then click on “Scan Now”. If you want to customize the recovery on the basis of file types then click on “Advance Scan”.
Step 3 – In the Advanced Scan you will have the option to scan as per to the file list, such as Photo, Video and audio or you can also select the data range from the storage device. This option reduces the scanning process time.
Step 4 – Once you click on “Scan Now” button the software will show that scanning is in process. The recovered files listed in a tree structure on the left side of the window panel.
Step 5 – After scanning, you can select the files to preview them and then you can click on “Recover” button to finally save them on your computer.
Step 6 – Select the desired location on your computer to save the recovered files. The screenshot shows that the recovered files are being saved.
By now I hope you have understood what lost.dir folder in Android is. And if you are not able to find your lost or missing files on your Android from LOST.DIR folders saved on SD card, then you must immediately apply Photo Recovery software and easily prevent permanent loss & recover files from lost.dir on external SD memory card.