Memory cards are available in various kinds and which are extremely useful for portable storage devices and used to save and transfer files between different computers, smartphones, laptops, and it is also used as a backup to store personal pictures, movies, videos, music files, etc. And at the time, it may get corrupt or damaged, and due to this, you may lose your all-important data from the memory card.
Accidentally erased or missing files from the memory card are the common cause. But mostly it occurs that data gets erased from memory card and you think that your all-important media files had deleted, but this is not the truth because it is available there only.
Well, in this useful post I am going to describe how to recover hidden files from USB flash drive like a memory card in both manual and automatic way, just read it till the end to solve your issue.
To recover hidden files from USB pen drive, we recommend this tool:
This software will restore data from corrupted, formatted, encrypted storage media and works in all data loss situations. Now recover your lost and deleted data in 3 easy steps:
- Download this Media File Recovery Tool rated Excellent on Pcmag.com.
- Select the storage media from which you want to restore the media files & click Scan.
- Preview the recoverable files, select the items you want to recover and click Recover to save the files at desired location.
How To Recover Media Files (Photos, Video & Audio) From Memory Card?
If you want to get those deleted data back then first of all you should stop using your card or saving new data in that memory card. After doing so, just try Memory Card Data Recovery Software which is the perfect memory card hidden file recovery software for Windows/Mac. It will help you to rescue all media files from memory cards.
This software is designed to extract hidden photos (JPG/JPEG, PNG, TIF/TIFF, PSD, GIF, etc) videos (MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, FLV, WMV, etc), and audio (WAV, AMR, MIDI, AAC, MP3, etc) files as well as show hidden files in SD memory card.
You can download the free trial version of the software that will scan your card and will display the preview of the recoverable media files and if you find your hidden files in the preview, you can then proceed further to purchase the full version of the tool to recover and save them on your PC or Mac.
It also restores deleted, lost, missing, formatted, corrupted, hidden media files from USB flash drives, digital cameras, camcorders, smartphones, mobile phones, tablets and other data storage devices. It can effectively rescue hidden files from SanDisk, Lexar, Strontium, Samsung, Sony, HP, Transcend, Toshiba, Kingmax, Kingston and form other memory cards.
Step To Recover Hidden Media Files From Memory Card
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
More Solutions To Recover Hidden Media Files From Memory Card
Way #1: Recover Hidden Files From Memory Card Using CMD Command
- Insert your memory card into the card reader and connect it with PC
- Note down the name of the disk colon. For example, if you are memory card is named as D: then you have to type d: in the command
- Run command.
- If you are using Windows XP, click Start>Run. Type in ‘cmd’ and hit Enter.
- If you are using Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10 then press the Window + R button together. You will see the run box, type in ‘cmd’ and hit Enter
- Now type the following command: attrib -s -h /s /d *.* (or) attrib -h -s -r /s /d *.* (Note: there should be space after each letter)
- Now you can open your memory card and can easily access your hidden files and simply use copy and paste command to recover it
Way #2: Assign New Drive Letter
Sometimes the media files of the memory card may not display because your device is unable to access the data of the memory card. You may also get the error message like ‘please insert memory card’.
If your card gets damaged/corrupted, then you can assign with the new drive letter by the given below steps:
- Firstly, you have to select the WIN +R keys to open RUN DIALOGUE BOX and then after that, you have to press MSC
- Then, press on OK button to open the Disk Management Window
- Right-click to your memory card
- Then you are able to ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths’ then you can apply changes easily
- Again, start your device to connect your card again.
If you are unable to resolve your problem using the above method then, you can go through with the next method.
Way #3: Reinstall Drivers
Sometimes damaged/corrupt system drivers unable to detect the memory card. And so, if you may unable to access the media files which saved by you in the memory card. In that circumstance, you can easily reinstall the drivers on your system. For this follow the mentioned below steps to reinstall the drivers:
- First of all, you have to click to the THIS PC /MY COMPUTER icon
- Press to the MANAGE after that you have to press on DEVICE MANAGER to the left side windowpane
- And then, you can press twice to the DISK DRIVES option from the shown list
- Then you have to right-click to the memory card
- Click to the UNINSTALL option
- Then, make click OK
These are the methods which you can easily know how to retrieve hidden files from memory card.
Reasons For The Loss of Hidden Files From Memory Card
- Accidental Deletion: We often accidentally use the “Delete All” option that deletes all files. Unknowingly, users might select all the files and mistakenly press ‘Delete All’ button. This results in the deletion of all files including hidden files.
- Formatting: There are several situations such as corruption of card, where users need to format the card in order to re-use it. But formatting the memory card will result in complete loss of files as well as hidden photos.
- Virus Infection: When you connect the card to the infected device then it can easily corrupt and delete data stored on your card including your hidden media files.
- Ignoring warning messages: Sometimes it happens we ignore the warnings, that the ‘memory card is full’ may be lost media files from the memory card.
- Without switching off device pulling out memory card: Without switching off your devices, pulling out of the memory card is the main cause of media files deletion.
So, these are some common causes that lead to the deletion or loss of hidden and other media files from memory cards.
But when you suffer from such scenarios, you don’t need to panic. Just be calm down because there are still chances to get them back, built you need to stop using your card further form adding any new data on it because adding new data will overwrite the existing data, and the recover hidden files will become almost impossible.
[Video Tutorial]: How To Recover Hidden Files From Memory Card
The mentioned ways will definitely work in your case too. Although the given methods are very easy and effective for hidden files on SD card used for numerous people.
I hope by using any of the above methods you can easily restore hidden pictures, videos, and audio files from your memory card. If you ask me from the above solutions, I would recommend an automatic method the SD card recovery tool to get back hidden media files from memory cards.
If you have found this post helpful and useful, then please do not forget to share it.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.