Continuously getting an error message ‘Error in Loading Media: File Could Not Be Opened’ when trying to watch an online video on your web browser? Well, if it is so then you don’t have to worry anymore. I am saying so because, in this guide, I am going to share complete info regarding how to fix error loading media file could not be played and what actually causes this issue.
You can fix error could not load media by checking your internet connection, clearing browser cache & cookies, updating the browser, disabling the browser extensions, etc.
However, if you are unable to play your video due to file corruption, you can try the best Video Repair Tool. It will help you to repair corrupt videos and watch online videos without any disturbance.
To fix error loading media: file could not be played, we recommend this tool:
This software will repair flickery, stuttery, jerky, unplayable videos and supports all popular video formats. Now repair your corrupt and broken videos in 3 easy steps:
- Download this Video Repair Tool rated Great on Pcmag.com.
- Click Add File to add the video you want to repair.
- Select Repair to start the repair process and save the repaired video on the desired location after the repair is done.
But, before that, let’s know about ‘JWPlayer error loading media file cannot be played’ in detail.
What Does Error Loading Media File Could Not Be Played Mean?
The ‘error loading media file could not be played’ actually means that you’re trying to load a file in an unsupported video file format in the media player. The most common cause is the loading of a .mov or a .wmv video file format that does not use the H264 video codec.
Besides, there are some other reasons that can also result in the above-shown error on your browser when trying to play a video. They are as follows:
- Weak or slow internet.
- Due to excess cookies and cache data stored in the browser.
- The Video file is corrupted itself.
- Outdated version of a browser.
Now, let’s move ahead to know how to fix error loading media: (file could not be played) on Chrome or other browser and devices.
How To Fix Error Loading Media File Could Not Be Played?
Well, when it comes to fixing the error loading media file not found or unable to play video files, there are several ways that can be tried. But the best options that you can try are mentioned in the below section.
So, let’s try them one by one and check which one works in your case.
- #1: Check Your Internet Speed
- #2: Delete Cookies, Cache & Browser History
- #3: Update To The Latest Version Of the Browser
- #4: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration
- #5: Play Media Player In Incognito Mode
- #6: Disable Browser Extensions
- #7: Reset the Browser Settings
- #8: Try Different Video Player
- Ultimate Solution: Video Repair Tool
Method #1: Check Your Internet Speed
Fluctuation of network connection or unstable internet is the major factor behind can’t play online videos or videos playing in slow motion problem.
Hence, it might possible that a weak internet connection is responsible for the “error loading media: file could not be played” issue. So, make sure that your network has good strength before you try to play an online video.
If this way won’t help you to troubleshoot this error, then try the next one.
Method #2: Delete Cookies, Cache & Browser History
Cookies and cache are just a small piece of information that is stored in directory of the web browser to provide you with the best user experience. Internet browsers like Google Chrome or Internet Explorer stores cookies and cache to spend up the loading process.
But, as time passes by, these cookies and cache pile up in the PC creates issues like ‘error loading media file could not be played on Chrome’. So, it is important to clear the cookies and cache, and browsing history on a regular basis. To do so, you have to follow the below steps:
For PC Users
- First of all, you have to open Google Chrome and then access the action menu in the very top-right corner of the screen.
- Next, you have to go to the option More Tools and then select Clear browsing data.
- After this, you are required to select the tab ‘Basic’ and then use the drop-down menu near Time range just to select the option ‘All Time’.
- You can then check the box just next to Cookies and other site data and then next to Cached images and files. After this, simply hit the option ‘Clear Data’ in order to eliminate or delete the cookies and cached files in Google Chrome.
- After the process gets complete, you have to restart the Google Chrome and then tap the action menu.
For Android Users
- In the first step, you have to launch Google Chrome on the Android device and then simply tap the action menu
- Next, you have to go to Settings and then simply tap on Privacy.
- Now, you have to scroll all the way down and then tap on Clear Browsing Data.
- After this, you have to select the Basic tab and then set the Time Range option to All-time with the use of drop-down menu. Now, you have to check the boxes that are associated with cookies and site data and cached images and files. After this, you have to hit Clear Data to delete the items.
Method #3: Update To The Latest Version Of the Browser
When you get an error loading media files could not be found issue appears in the browser then make sure that the browser you are using is up to date.
Here are the steps mentioned below individually for PC users and Android users. So, follow them and try to solve error loading media file could not be played Chrome.
How To Update Chrome Browser On PC
- First of all, you have to open Google Chrome and then click the three vertical dots on the very top-right corner of the toolbar. After this, you have to click Help and then go to About Google Chrome.
- If there is a new Chrome version available then you will simply see an option called ‘Update Google Chrome’ or else the Google Chrome is updated. You can see the Relaunch button and if there is any new update available then click on it to end the process.
- However, if you still get the error loading media file could not be found issue, just clear cookies and cached files and then simply play the media files easily.
How To Update Chrome Browser On Android Device
The browser installed on the Android device should update automatically when you have to turn on Auto-update apps in the Play Store settings.
However, you can also check if there is a new browser update available just to resolve error loading media file in Android devices. Here are the steps you can try to update the Chrome browser on an Android device:
- First of all, you have to open Play Store app on the Android device.
- Next, you have to tap Menu and then go to My apps & games option found at the top-left corner.
- After this, you have to find the browser under the Update
- Lastly, you have to tap Update.
Method #4: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration To Fix Error Loading Media File Could Not Be Played
Suppose if there is a problem with the media file you are playing then this could be because of reasons like hardware acceleration. However, when it is enabled, the hardware acceleration passes graphical intensive tasks within the browser so that it can make it perform better.
Well, it may happen because of the error ‘media file could not be played’ and so you have to disable it. This can help you to play the video file.
Steps to Disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome
First of all, you have to click the option ‘Settings’ and then go to ‘Advanced’ on Google Chrome.
- Now, you have to toggle-off the option ‘Use hardware acceleration when available’ under Settings
That’s it….you have to do just these two steps to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome.
Method #5: Play Media Player In Incognito Mode
We all know that incognito mode doesn’t store any cache or cookies and it automatically deleted the search and browsing histories.
So, to play media player in Incognito mode, you’ve to press ‘CTRL+SHIFT+ N’ keys together to go to the incognito mode. You can simply enter the website link and then play the video file without any hassle.
Method #6: Disable Browser Extensions
It might possible that the error loading media file could not be played has occurred because of browser extensions. So, you need to disable them as soon as possible.
However, you can check once if the error is causing due to browser extensions. For this, you have to open the video hosting website in Incognito Mode and then play the video.
But, if the video plays smoothly without causing any sort of error then it indicates that an extension was the actual reason for the error could not load media.
4 Easy Steps to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome
- First of all, you have to open Google Chrome and then click on the three vertical dots.
- Next, you have to click on the option ‘More Tools’ and then go to Extensions.
- After this, you can simply choose Remove or toggle-off each extension.
- Now, you have to simply close the window and then reopen the browser. You can then check if the media file could be played or not.
Method #7: Reset the Browser Settings
You can try to fix error loading media file could not be played Chrome is to reset the browser setting. If you clear browser settings then it might help to resolve Error loading media: File could not be played issue. However, when you reset the browser settings, all the extensions, Chrome settings as well as browser history will be removed.
So, here are the steps below:
- First of all, you have to open Chrome browser.
- Next, you have to click the three vertical dots shown on the very top-right portion of the screen.
- Now, after clicking that, you have to click there Settings and then go to Advanced.
- On the Windows PC, you will get this option under Reset and clean up.
- However, on Mac PC, this option will take place when you click Restore settings to their original defaults.
Method #8: Try Different Video Player
Sometimes, the media file that you want to play is not supported via video player and displays such errors, mainly JW player. Though according to the JW player, WMV and MOV video file does not use H264 codec, so it fails to load and play the file on the browser.
Maybe the file that you want to play is one of the MOV or WMV, that’s why you are unable to watch the online video with JW player. In such a case, you should download that video on your device & try to watch it in another media player.
Ultimate Solution: Video Repair Tool To Fix Videos Errors
After trying all the above fixes, if you’re unable to fix error loading media file could not be played, you can try another option. Yes… and the option is to try Video Repair Tool. This tool has the ability to fix any kind of error related to video files.
No matter what file format you are using because this tool repairs all video file formats error in no time. The best part is – it is available for Windows as well as Mac PCs. So, whatever OS you are using, you can fix your issue in any of these platforms easily.
Apart from this, video repair tool also:
- Fix unplayable, corrupted, damaged, inaccessible or broken video files
- Repair all video file formats like 3G2, MOV, MP4, WMV, FLV, M4V, MTS, AVCHD, F4V, etc
- Completely trustworthy tool
- User-friendly interface
- 100% safe, secure and easy to use
Here is the step-by-step guide to follow to fix error could not load media.
Steps To Repair Video File Errors
Step 1: Download, install and launch Video Repair software on your system. Click on 'Add Files' to add corrupted video files.
Step 2: Click on 'Repair' button to begin the repairing process. This start repairing your added video files one by one.
Step 3: You can click on 'Preview', in order to preview the repaired video file within the software and click on 'Save Repaired Files' button to save the repaired videos at desired location.
How Do You Reset Google Chrome To Avoid Online Video Playing Errors?
To know how to reset Google Chrome to avoid getting video file errors, you have to follow the below steps:
- First of all, you have to click the menu icon that is found just next to the address bar.
- After this, you have to select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you have to scroll down to the Settings page and then click there the Advanced.
- After this, you have to scroll down to the page and then click there ‘Reset’ option.
- Lastly, you have to click the Reset button in the pop-up window.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Do I Fix Error Loading Media File Cannot Be Played?
You can fix error loading media Android or PC by applying the below tips:
- Improving the network speed
- Clearing the browser’s cache and cookies
- Disabling hardware acceleration
- Disabling extensions and plug-ins
- Using the Video repair Tool.
Why Videos Are Not Loading?
How Do I Fix Video Not Playing On Chrome?
To overcome video not playing on Chrome, you need to enable adobe flash in Chrome, update the browser, clear the browser’s cache, reset Chrome browser’s settings, disable hardware acceleration, extensions and plug-ins.
I know it’s quite annoying to face an error loading media Android or PC issue no matter which browser you are using. However, you can try the aforesaid ways to resolve message error loading media file could not be played issue.
I hope after you try the above fixes, at least one of them will definitely work for you. Or, if you fail to do so then you can also try Video Repair Tool. This tool has the ability to fix all video repair related errors including this error could not load media.
So, all the very best to you…..
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.