Have you taken some great pictures from your digital device and stored them on Windows 10 PC and now trying to open but failed to do so? Are you getting an issue stated as ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’? Tried several times but not at all able to open JPEG/JPG files?
Well, this can be very frustrating especially when you want to make some changes or edit them before sharing them with your known people around. But, here I have summed up some possible fixes that can help you fix cannot open jpg files in Windows 10 issue.
To fix cannot open jpg files in Windows 10, we recommend this tool:
This software will repair grainy, distorted, pixelated, blurry, greyed-out images and restores your prized memories effeciently. Now repair your corrupt or damaged photos in 3 easy steps:
- Download this Photo Repair Tool rated Great on Pcmag.com.
- Click Add File to add the photo you want to repair.
- Select Repair to start the repair process and save the repaired image on the desired location after the repair is done.
So, without wasting any time, let us first try to solve your issue. I hope, these fixes will definitely help you out.
- How To Fix Windows 10 Won’t Open JPG Files?
- Best Repair Tool To Fix Windows 10 Won’t Open JPG Files
- Why I Cannot Open JPG File In Windows 10?
- How Do I Open A JPG File?
- What Program Opens JPG Files Windows 10?
How To Fix Windows 10 Won’t Open JPG Files?
Well, if you want to know how to open jpg files in Windows 10 then you can try some fixes that are mentioned below. These are the best possible fixes that can be applied to fix Windows 10 won’t open JPG images. So, let’s get started with them:
Fix#1: Reset Photos App
If you are getting an issue stated as ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’ then you can try to reset the Photos App in Windows 10. This can fix your issue in no time. To do so, follow the below steps:
- First of all, open Settings panel and then go to Apps and then click on Apps & Features tab and then scroll the cursor down and search for Photos and then select the Advanced
- After that, click on the Reset button to start the procedure.
It may take a few minutes to finish the procedure and then your Windows Store App will be fixed to its default settings.
Fix #2: Move To Photo Viewer Of An Older Version
If you are getting an issue in opening .jpeg files in Windows 10 then you can go back to Photo Viewer of an Older Version. Many Windows 10 users report an issue regarding their JPEG that their pictures do not open in built-in Photos App. To resolve this issue, you can always select to go back to an older version of Photo viewer and use it to open JPEG/JPG photos.
Fix #3: Rename The JPG/JPEG File
Another best way you can try is to fix the issue stated as ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’ is to rename the JPG file without causing any change in file extension (.jpeg). It is possible that after you do so, you will be able to open JPG files in Windows 10 with ease.
Fix #4: Open JPEG Photos In Image Editors
If you are unable to open JPEG photos Photos app, try it once in image editor such as Picasa, Photoshop or Inkscape etc. Now, you can open the JPEG images with image editors and rename the JPG files without causing any change in file extension, this should resolve the issue “cannot open jpg files in Windows 10”.
Fix #5: Open JPEG Photo In Paint
If the JPEG photo is opening in Microsoft Paint, it means that no harm is done to the picture. If it gives you error notification then it is possible that your JPEG picture is corrupted or. In this case, you can try JPEG File Repair Tool which is the ultimate guaranteed solution.
Fix #6: Use SFC In Command Prompt
If you are not at all able to open the JPG/JPEG images because of any damage or corruption in files then it can be easily repaired with sfc/scannow option in Command Prompt on Windows system. This method used to fix minor corruptions in the JPG/JPEG images.
You can follow the below steps to try sfc/scannow command in Command Prompt:
- First of all, type cmd in the Windows Start box and then make a right click on CMD and then simply select Run as Administrator.
- Now, you have to open the command prompt and then type sfc/scan now and then Enter
- After the repair and scanning process gets over, you can restart the system with ease.
- After this, you will be able to open and view the JPEG images.
Fix #7: Perform Clean Boot in your PC
Clean boot is useful in detecting and fixing if a third party application is running in the background it will cause a problem in opening JPEG file. It would be your system utility application, anti-virus solution or any other application. Clean boot removes software issue that happen due to the applications installed on your system.
Steps To Perform Clean Boot:
- First of all, you have to log in your system as an administrator.
- Now, you have to type thee msconfig in search and then press Enter key. The System Configuration Utility Windows appears on the screen.
- After this, you have to click on General and then Selective Startup. Firstly, uncheck Load Startup Items box and then check use Original boot configuration.
- Next, click on Services tab, then choose Hide All Microsoft Services check box located at the bottom of the screen. Now, you have to click on the option Disable all.
- Then click OK or Apply and then simply restart the system.
- And now try to open your JPEG photos to check if the issue is fixed. In order to configure your system in normal Startup mode, you have to simply undo the changes done mentioned above.
Fix #8: Remove Outdated Registry Keys
If you get an issue ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’ then you can try to delete or remove outdated registry keys. Sometimes you may not able to open JPG files in Windows 10 because of the outdated registry entries. So, you can simply restore or modify the registry keys and to do so, follow the steps below:
- In the first steps, you have to just log in as administrator.
- Next, make a right click on Start option and then select the option Run.
- Now, you have to type there regedit and then press Enter.
- Now, simply go to the left corner of the screen and the press find the below directory:
- After this, you will see there numerous entries and each has its own version number. If it has 8 Windows Photos app entries then the outdated registry keys were left after the Windows got updated. So, it becomes important to remove those entries.
- Next, select the old entry and then make a right click on it and select Permissions.
- Now, in the Security windows, you have to click on the option Advanced.
- Next, you have to pick the user name and then click on OK.
- Now, make a right click on the old registry entry and then select the option Delete.
- You can repeat these steps with each registry entry that are outdated and then exit and then restart the system.
Fix #9: Perform CHKDSK Command
You can also try perform CHKDSK command option to fix this issue. Most of the time it happens that corruption in the system disk does not allow you to open JPEG/JPG photos and you get Windows 10 won’t open JPG issue. However, if you perform CHKDSK command then it will scan the file system on a disk volume and then scans for bad sectors. This will somehow fix the logical errors and will able to open JPG images in Windows 10 easily.
Below are the steps to run CHKDSK command in Windows 10 system:
- Firstly, you have to select Search in Windows Start Menu and then type in CMD.
- Now, you have to make a right click on Command Prompt from the search results list.
- You have to then simply click Run as administrator and then log in as an Administrator.
- Next, you have to type the command: chkdsk C: /f /r /x when the Command Prompt launches.
- After the process gets finished, you can restart the system.
Fix #10: Modify The Inheritance Settings
Most of the time it happens that you cannot open jpg files in Windows 10 because of the issue with the inheritance. So, in that case, you can follow the below steps to fix this issue:
- Firstly, go to C:Users[Your_username]AppDataLocaldirectory and then in the local directory, you have to locate the folder named Temp. Now, make a right click on it and select Properties from the given menu.
- Next, you have to go to the tab named ‘Security’ and then simply click the button ‘Advanced’.
- Now, you are required to enable inheritance button and then check Replace all child object permission entries and then simply click Apply and then OK.
Now, after completing these steps, your issue that is ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’ will be resolved easily.
Best Tool To Repair ‘Windows 10 Won’t Open JPG Files’ Error
After trying all the above fixes, if you are still unable to know how to open jpg files in Windows 10 then you can try JPG File Repair Tool. This is one of the best solutions you can ever try. This repair tool has the ability to repair JPG images as well as other image file formats such as PNG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, RAW images, etc.
To use this tool, all you have to do is to download and install JPG File Repair Tool and follow the aforementioned steps. The best part about this image repair tool is that it is available for both; Windows as well as Mac operating systems. You can download and install this tool as per your requirement.
Steps To Repair Windows Won’t Open JPG Files Error
Step 1: Download, install and launch Photo Repair Tool on your computer. Click on 'Add File' to repair corrupt/damaged image files.
Step 2: You can then select the files for repairing. Next, click on 'Repair' to begin the repairing process.
Step 3: Finally, click on 'Save' button to preview and save repaired images on your desired location on the computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why I Cannot Open JPG File In Windows 10?
Well, there could be several reasons for why you cannot open JPG files in Windows 10. Some of the major reasons could be invalid value for registry errors, inheritance issue, system disk is corrupted, third party application is running in the background, image is corrupted, JPEG marker type error, JPEG invalid image error, etc. However, you can fix all these issues with the help if given above manual fixes.
How Do I Open A JPG File?
When you get an issue related to your JPEG files, it is quite possible that you won’t be able to open JPEG files and so, of course, you need a solution. However, to know how to open jpg files in Windows 10, you can try all the above fixes that I have mentioned in the above section of this blog. All these solutions are so easy to apply that you don’t even need any technical knowledge to do so.
What Program Opens JPG Files Windows 10?
There are several programs that can be used to open JPG files. Some of the most commonly used programs to open JPG files in Windows 10 PC are Windows Photo Viewer, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, online services such as Google Drive, etc.
Well, I have already mentioned that if you get ‘Windows 10 won’t open JPG files’ issue then it’s quite frustrating. However, you can try all the above manual ways mentioned that are the best of my knowledge that can help you out right there.
Or, apart from the manual fixes, you can go for JPEG File Repair Tool. This is the most recommended tool available to fix JPEG file error no matter what kind of error do you get.
Also, I would like to suggest you please take proper care of your images as images are always so precious and your system as well. Do not take any risk with the data ever.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.