JPEG is one of the most common and widely used image file format. It is compatible with almost all the photo viewer apps. But, recently some users have reported that they are encountering a JPEG Invalid Image or invalid image error while trying to open or view the JPEG images in photo viewer apps. If you are also experiencing the same issue then this article is for you.
Here, I have discussed some of the most effective solutions to fix jpeg invalid image error along with the reasons that leads to this error.
So, without any further delay, let’s get started now…..!
To fix JPEG invalid image error, we recommend this tool:
This software will repair grainy, distorted, pixelated, blurry, greyed-out images and restores your prized memories effeciently. Now repair your corrupt or damaged photos in 3 easy steps:
- Download this Photo Repair Tool rated Great on Pcmag.com.
- Click Add File to add the photo you want to repair.
- Select Repair to start the repair process and save the repaired image on the desired location after the repair is done.
What Causes JPEG Invalid Image Error?
There can be several reasons that can cause JPEG Invalid image error. I have mentioned some of them in the below section, just go through them:
- When your storage media is infected by virus, then it can corrupt JPEG files and makes them inaccessible.
- Presence of bad sectors on hard drive affects the JPEG files stored in it.
- Broken or corrupt header of JPEG image file
- Clicking the pictures with a camera having low battery can corrupt the JPEG images.
How To Fix JPEG Invalid Image Error?
Solution 1: Download JPG File Again
Many times, it happens that due to site or network issues files are not downloaded properly. Afterward, when we try to open that downloaded file, different error messages appear. Similarly, if your JPG file showing invalid image it means that the JPG/JPEG got corrupted & makes it inaccessible.
In such a situation, downloading the JPEG image file again from a same source can be helpful. So, once you should download the image again & check if the issue is solved.
Solution 2: Rename A JPG File
Another simplest method that you can try to troubleshoot invalid image error: unknown image format is to rename a file. When you rename a file then make sure to save a file in (.jpeg) extension & try to launch it.
Solution 3: Convert The JPEG File Extension To Different Image File Format
If you are not able to open your JPEG/JPG picture then try converting the image file format by following the below given steps:
- Open the JPEG image in Adobe Photoshop or any other photo editing software.
- Save the JPEG image with the different image file formats. From the menu click on “File” and select “Save As”
- In the Window, field selects the file extension to another image file format such as .png or .bmp and then click on “Save” to save the image with the new file format.
Now, open the image and see if it is opening or not.
Solution 4: Open The Affected JPEG File In New Image Editor
There are many image editing software available like – Photoshop, Picasa, Inkscape, etc. You should try opening your inaccessible JPEG files in these editing apps.
Firstly, you need to exit from the default photo viewer app on which you have previously attempt to open the image file. Then, make a right-click on the image that you’re unable and select an option Open With. Next, open the other image editors and try to open the same affected image in that.
If the JPEG photo is opened in another image editor app then there might be some issue on your default photo viewer app.
Solution 5: Run CHKSDSK Command
The invalid image error JPEG sometimes occurs when you try to open the JPEG file saved within the storage media. It might happen due to the bad sectors present on the data storage drive. In such a situation, you need to run the ‘CHKDSK’ command to fix the problem.
- At first, you need to connect your SD card or USB drive to PC.
- Then, tap on Command Prompt >> type “CHKDSK (drive letter) / r” under a command window.
- After doing so, chkdsk will check for the error or bad sectors & will repair it.
- Once the process is completed, check if you can access the photo stored with the drive or not.
Solution 6: Check For Compatibility Problem
You also have to make sure that the particular application or software in which you are opening and viewing JPEG photos does not have a compatibility problem.
In order to ensure, try to run the application or software in the compatibility mode and then open the JPEG images.
- On your Windows computer, right-click on the specific program in which you are trying to open JPEG images (say for example “Microsoft Photos”) and then select “Properties”.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility” tab and then select Run this program in compatibility mode and click OK.
Solution 7: Unhide All The File Extension of The JPEG File
It could be possible that all the file extension of the JPEG files has been hidden on your Windows computer. So, make sure that the file extension matches the actual file type or else the image will not get opened.
The reason being, every time you try to open it, Windows will run the same error because there is no file extension that exists in your Windows PC to open the JPEG image with that extension.
Here follow the steps to unhide all the file extension of the JPEG file:
- On your Windows PC, go to Control Panel, click Appearance, and Personalization and then click on “File Explorer Options”.
- Go to the “View” tab and select “Show hidden files & folder” and then uncheck “hide extensions for known file types and click Apply.
Now open your JPEG files, I hope you will not face the error message.
Solution #8: Open The JPEG File In A Web Browser
Simply drag and drop the JPEG file in a web browser.
If the browser opens your JPEG image without any error, then simply save the image and then open it again in the photo viewer application to check whether you are able to open it or not without any error message.
Ultimate Solution To Repair Corrupt JPEG Files
When it comes to repair the corrupted, damaged, broken or inaccessible JPEG files, using the JPEG Photo Repair Tool is the perfect choice for the users. It is an advanced repair program that has the ability to resolve all kinds of image related errors and issues.
It not only fixes broken or corrupt JPEG files but also repairs other image files like BMP, TIFF, CRW, PNG, RAF, NEF, CR2, ARF and GIF as well. This tool is easy to use and is completely trustworthy.
Below you can find some more amazing features of this excellent tool:
- Fixes all kinds of image file format including raw files.
- It will let you preview before saving them to your preferred folder
- Completely trusted and available at an affordable price
- 100% safe and secure
- Compatible with both Windows & Mac operating systems.
So, here are the steps to know how to fix JPEG invalid Image Error…..
Step 1: Download, install and launch Photo Repair Tool on your computer. Click on 'Add File' to repair corrupt/damaged image files.
Step 2: You can then select the files for repairing. Next, click on 'Repair' to begin the repairing process.
Step 3: Finally, click on 'Save' button to preview and save repaired images on your desired location on the computer.
Since now you know the fixes that will act as a counter when you will face “invalid image” error or unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found while opening JPEG photos.
The above-mentioned manual solutions will fix the JPEG error message as well as recover the JPEG file.
But in case, all the manuals fail to work, then it is highly recommended that you must try JPEG Photo Repair Tool to repair damaged JPEG/JPG files and recover your photos and open them without any issue.
Editor's Note: This post was originally published in October 2018. This updated version is completely revamped for comprehensiveness, freshness, and accuracy.
Taposhi is an expert technical writer with 5+ years of experience. Her in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. She has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.