Is your SD card or external flash drive becomes raw suddenly or unexpectedly due to file system errors? If your answer is yes, then don’t panic because this blog will help you out to fix Raw SD card without formatting from it. The problem can be resolved in no time. And this article will also help you to solve the issue of raw SD card and raw external hard drive as well.
As everybody knows that, formatting is required in order to fix a damaged/corrupted SD card without formatting any device. Although, how to format SD card having raw files is difficult which is unable to be formatted on any digital device or computer system.
Luckily, there are some easy procedures mentioned in this article on how to fix Raw SD card without formatting.
How To Recover Lost/Deleted Media Files From Raw SD Card?
In case after solving a fix SD card without formatting issue, if you find that all your data gets deleted from Raw SD card then, you can simply retrieve the lost/deleted files from Raw SD card by using the Raw SD Card Recovery tool. This is the best & recommended tool to recover data from a corrupt SD card effectively.
You know that it is effective and reliable software that can help you to easily restore erased or corrupted files from all types’ memory cards like micro SD/MMC or SD card in any unconditional circumstances.
This is one of the professional recovery software with its progressive algorithms fully scans and finds all the missing or hidden like images, videos, and audios from your SD card.
Here you can go through the step-by-step guide to recover deleted or lost media files from SD cards.
How To Fix RAW SD Card Without Formatting?
It’s very important to get raw SD card fixes as soon as possible. The below fixes are so easy that anyone can use them to solve how to repair damaged SD card without formatting effectively.
Fix #1: Fix Raw SD Card By Using The Disk Management Option
The disk management procedure is used to change the RAW SD card to FAT32 or NTFS by going through the Disk manager. To do this, simply try the below-mentioned steps to change the RAW SD card to FAT32 or NTFS by using the Disk Management option:
- First of all, connect your SD card to the computer system by using a card reader.
- Then, make right-click to the “My Computer” and simply click on “Manage.”
- Then, you have to open the “Disk Management” option and try to look for RAW SD.
- When you have to find the RAW SD, now right-click on it.
- Then, you have to mark on RAW SD as “Active.”
- After that launch, the “File Explorer” option and again you have to right-click on RAW SD.
- Now, choose the “Properties.”
- Then, open Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit > then, other groups or users > Advanced –>Find now.
- Lastly, Pick out the user of first listed and press “OK”.
After going through this method, even if you fail to fix a corrupted SD card without formatting, then you can try the next method to solve your issue.
Fix #2: Use CHKDSK Command Prompt To Resolve The Raw SD Card
Generally, corrupted or Raw SD card can be easily resolved by using the CHKDSK CMD prompt.
This is one of the methods for the greatest Windows users. However, CHKDSK is inaccessible for the RAW drives and changing the RAW to NTFS. Though, if you wish to fix Raw SD card without formatting using cmd, simply follow the given below steps:
- Firstly, connect your SD/memory card to the computer by using the card reader.
- And you have to make sure that the Windows is able to access it.
- Now, right-click on the START button and then run the “CMD Prompt.”
- After that, you have to click on the “Enter” button.
- Then, simply Type the “Diskpart” to open the Diskpart and again hit the “Enter” button.
- Enter the X:/FS: NTFS and X:/FS: FAT32 (“X” is a new drive letter of the specific SD card).
- Once your file system transfer procedure is finished, then, at last, enter the “Exit.”
Fix #3: Plug Raw SD Card To Computer
When you plug your SD card to the computer then it will check whether it is accessible or not. For this, you can simply get an SD card reader and insert your SD card into it and then connect the SD card reader to the Computer.
After connecting it, you can see whether you can access a memory card on your computer or not. Also, it is accessible then it is good but if not then you can try to access memory card without formatting it in your storage device or PC.
Fix #4: Assign A New Drive Letter In Disk Management
You can also assign a new drive letter in the Disk Management if there is not any drive letter mentioned for your device. This may also help you fix raw SD card:
- At first, you can press Windows + R keys and launch Run prompt.
- Now, simply type there ‘msc’ and then press OK.
- After this, you can find the raw SD card and then right-click on the drive and then simply select the option Change Drive Letter and Path…
- Lastly, you have to click Add just to assign a new drive letter to the SD card and click the option OK to save.
Why SD Card Becomes RAW?
Mostly, the file system of the SD card becomes RAW due to the below mention reasons:
- When the SD card is not suitably formatted with the file system
- If, the file system of the SD/memory card is lost
- When the file system of your memory card becomes corrupted or damaged
- The current file system of the SD card could not be recognized by your computer system
After discussing the several causes behind the SD card gets Raw, now it turns to know about the solutions for how to format SD card having raw files. But before that
How To Convert Raw SD Card To FAT32 Using CMD Option?
You can change the file system from RAW to FAT32 with command line. Make sure that you format Raw SD card to FAT32 and to do so, follow the below steps:
- You have to first open Command Prompt as administrator
- Next, you have to type format F:/fs:fat32 and then press Enter key. Here, F is the drive letter of the RAW drive. You have to then press Enter key. Next, you have to specify there the partition label if needed. It only takes just 20 minutes to format the 32GB SD card.
- After this, you have to type exit and leave CMD command.
However, if there is no drive letter found on the RAW drive then you can format microSD card from RAW to FAT32. You can do this by using DISKPART as using this option; the volume number of the RAW drive is available. In order to convert RAW to FAT32 in Diskpart, you can follow the below steps:
- First of all, you have to type diskpart in CMD prompt and then hit Enter key.
- You can then type the following command:
select volume n (where n is the volume number of the RAW drive)
format fs=fat32 quick
This will help you convert SD card to FAT32 using CMD option.
What To Do To Format SD Card?
To format SD card, simply try the below-given steps:
- First, connect the memory/SD card to your computer system.
- Then, open the “File Explorer” option.
- Find the new drive letter which you want to do a format of your SD, then make right-click in it.
- Lastly, you have to click on the “Format” option.
While following the above steps, that time you will be reported that all the data of SD card would be removed. To complete your procedure you have to click on “OK” to go on.
No matter whatever the reason for the SD card becomes corrupt. After reading this article, I hope you will be able to solve the problem of the SD card raw format error.
Although, we have given three manual fixes for how to fix a raw SD card. The above-mentioned micro SD raw repair solutions are so easy and effective that anyone can try them to repair Raw SD card without formatting.
In case after trying these methods to fix raw SD card without formatting, if you find that your data gets deleted then, you can recover raw images from SD card easily. And don’t forget to use the best software Raw SD Card Recovery tool to get back the missing data from raw SD cards.
Hopefully, you have found this article helpful.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.