Normally you can easily format your SD card on Android phone, Windows PC, or digital camera. But at times you may encounter the situations when you can’t format SD card due to numerous unknown reasons. So, in this post I am going to describe reasons that lead into this issue and fixes that will help you to resolve all kinds of SD card is not formatting issue.
So, let’s get started…
Due to SD card is not formatting issue, you eventually end up losing your data stored in SD card unless you have already backed up the memory card data before the issue surfaced. I am saying so because once the SD card refuses to format it is obvious that you will not be able to access its data and soon you format it using the methods mentioned below, none of the data will be there to read. So in both the cases, you need to use a powerful data recovery software to get back all your data after formatting. Try the best SD card recovery software clicking the button below which will definitely help you to recover data after formatting SD card.
How to Identify SD card Not Formatting Issue on Different Devices?
Different devices throw different error messages when they cannot read or format a corrupt memory card. Some of the popular errors are mentioned here below –
On Android devices
- SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it.
- SD card unexpectedly removed.
- Blank SD card or has unsupported file system.
On Windows system
- The disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?
- Windows was unable to complete the format.
- SD card show invalid file system (RAW).
On Digital Camera
- Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera.
- Raw SD card won’t format.
If you are also getting one of these or similar errors then you can be sure that your SD card has corrupted.
Reasons behind Can’t Format SD Card Issue
By now we have understood that when a memory refuses to format, it means that the card is running into some sort of problems related to the file system.
For example, FAT32 card is used in some specific device, but when it is used in different devices, then the file system turns raw and hence, Windows PC cannot recognize it. The memory card does not show up as mass storage and so on.
Though it is said that formatting the card will fix the problems, but ultimately the formatting fails as well. What causes such issues? Here are few reasons that are responsible for the occurrence of SD card won’t format issue –
- microSD card is write-protected and therefore Windows is unable to format it.
- The card has a bad sector and hence it becomes corrupted and won’t format.
- Using the card in multiple devices such as phones, computers, cameras, tablets can easily make your card infected with the virus. Making your Android device and Windows computer hardly format the card to remove virus completely.
- microSD card got corrupted due to file system error and hence you get ‘can’t format SD card’ error.
- And so on.
So, whatever the reasons would be behind the occurrence of ‘can’t format SD card on Android’ or ‘can’t format SD card Windows PC’, you can follow the below-mentioned solutions to fix it.
How To Fix Can’t Format SD Card issue on Android/Windows PC/Camera?
Best Solution to Recover Data from SD Card with Formatting Error
This is the best solution to recover and backup data to computer from the memory card that throws “unable to format SD card” error. If your card has important or valuable data that you want back up before formatting it then this is a must-follow step for you.
I am saying so because using SD Card Recovery Tool you can retrieve media files such as photos, videos and audio files from can’t format SD card.
You don’t have to worry about even if the SD card is inaccessible. This powerful SD Card Recovery tool will completely restore all pictures, videos and audio file formats. It doesn’t matter whether your card is write-protected, locked, corrupted, virus-infected or has any other issues. It will help you to extract all media files with ease in just a few simple steps.
The best part about this software is that it is available for both Windows and Mac PCs.
To know how this software works, refer to its user guide.
Remove Write Protection/Password From MicroSD Card
This is the first thing that you must check. If your memory card is locked then you must unlock it. Check if any lock switch is there or not. If there is any lock switch and it is locked then it means that your card is write-protected. So, how to remove write-protection from card?
Simply slide switch to unlock position. That’s it.
If you have locked your card with a password, then simply remove the password from the card.
Repair File System Errors And Bad Sectors On SD Card
- Insert the microSD memory card to card reader and connect it to PC.
- On your PC click Start > -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.
- Now type the following command: chkdsk D: /r and hit ENTER. (Here you need to replace “D” with the letter drive of your microSD card.)
Now, you have to just wait for the process to get complete as Windows fixes all file system error and bad sectors.
Format Card on Computer If Your Android Can’t Format SD Card
Note: Formatting MicroSD card will erase all data stored within it. Hence, it is advised that you must first recover important files from microSD card before formatting it.
- Connect your card to the computer via a card reader.
- On your PC click Start > My Computer > Right-Click on your MicroSD card and click on “Format” option.
- Leave all default settings as it is and click on “Start”.
Once the format process complete, you can then re-insert it back to your Android phone and re-use it again.
Format and Reset SD Card To NTFS
You have to take the help of DISK Management when you are unable to format SD card on your computer.
- Connect your microSD card to your computer with the help of card reader.
- On your PC click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools.
- Next click on Computer Management and then click on Disk Management.
- Now find and right-click on MicroSD card that you want to format and then click on Format
- Here select the file system of your microSD card into NTFS and then click OK to start format process.
Once the process completes, you can then eject the card from your computer and then re-insert it back to any Android phone or another device to save data again.
After this, you can unplug the SD card from your PC and insert it into your Android phone or other devices to save data again.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. How Do You Fix A SD Card That Won't Format?
Well, to fix SD card that won’t format issue, first of all, try to remove the card from the mobile phone or camera, and re-insert it again. After doing so, if the problem still there then takes out the SD card and connect it to the Windows PC or laptop. Choose one of the below methods to format the SD Card on Windows 10/8/7 PC:
- Format an external SD card using cmd
- Format Android SD card using Disk Management
2. Why Can't I Format My SD Card On My Android?
The error message “won’t format SD card” often happens due to the following reasons:
- The SD card gets infected with virus.
- There are bad sectors on the SD card.
- The SD card is corrupted due to file system errors.
3. How Do You Format SD Card If It Is Not Formatting?
To format the SD card, you can try the Windows Disk Management Method. To do so, first, open the Disk Management by going to This PC/My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Then, find and right-click on SD card, and select the Format option. Select a proper file system like FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, and perform a quick format. Then, click 'OK'.
There are several causes for the occurrence of can’t format microSD card issue and several solutions to fix the same as well. From the above blog, you must have learned how to fix SD card won’t format issue on Windows PC, Android phone and on camera.
However, if you have valuable photos, videos or audio that you want to recover from your microSD card before formatting it then you must use SD Card Recovery Tool. This tool will definitely help you to recover lost data from SD card in no time.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.