Are you getting an error message ‘SD card is write protected’ while writing a new picture to the SD card. Do you want to remove this error message from SD card as it is restricting you to write new data to the SD card? If yes, then do not worry here you will get the complete fixes to know how to remove write protection from SD card and how to recover data from SD card using SD Card Recovery Tool if lost.
But, before that, let’s know something about card is write protected error message on SD card….
About Write Protection In SD Card
“Memory card is ‘write protected” error message will arrive when the memory card is write-protected. To make a memory card write protected or protect the data of a memory card from unwanted modification a button is given on the side of the memory card which makes user able to protect their memory card data.
This switch not available on all types of memory card, but some memory card is packed with this feature. This feature makes it possible to avoid the card from being erased or format, SD card and Memory Sticks come with the write-protect switch.
When your card display this type of error message then you have to apply some given methods, these methods will make your card normal are remove “Memory card is write protected” error message. Some tricks to remove memory card protected error are given bellow apply them properly:
Use Memory Card Recovery Tool To Remove Write Protection From Memory Card And Recover Data
You can make use of the Memory Card Recovery Tool to recover the data from memory card. Sometimes it happens that after removing write protection, you may lose data from memory card and so you need a recovery solution. In that case, using Memory Card Recovery Tool is the best option you can try to recover media files from memory card.
The best thing about this tool is that you can use this recovery option on both the platforms; Windows as well as Mac.
The steps used in the recovery process are so easy that you can easily use it without having any technical knowledge.
Other Alternatives To Remove Write Protection From Memory Card
Solution #1: Format SD Card
If you are unable to remove this error message after applying the above-given method then you can also format memory card. Format the memory card by inserting it into the computer and make your memory card normal. But make sure that you have a backup of your memory card content because after formatting the memory card all the stored information will get erased or wiped.
Formatting a memory card is very simple to insert the card into your computer/Laptop and right-click on the memory card icon select format option choose a File system and Format option according to your requirement and click on the Format. Here are the steps to format SD card if you can’t format SD card on your own:
- You have to first connect the undetected or unrecognized microSD card to the system.
- Now, you have to open Device Management through Run prompt and to do so you have to press Win + R keys and then type msc and then simply press Enter key.
- Next, simply locate the card and then make a right click on it and then select Format
- After this, you have to select Perform a quick format and then click OK.
Solution #2: Remove Write Protection Using Diskpart Utility
Diskpart utility is a special feature present in the system that allows you to manage the disk partitions and volumes. When you format memory card or SD card, you just remove the read-only protection and then unlock the SD card. But, here, you will learn how to remove write protection from SD card using diskpart utility:
- First of all, you have to open the command prompt and then type there ‘diskpart’ to begin the utility.
- Next, you have to type there ‘list disk’ to show the list of disks that are available in the system.
- Now, you have to type there select disk n where n is the disk number of the SD card.
- After this, type attributes disk clear readonly. Doing so will change the properties of the SD card so that the SD card will no longer read-only.
Solution #3: Try diskmgmt.msc Utility
You can also try diskmgmt.msc utility to remove write protection from SD card. This process is quite helpful no matter whether you have SD card or USB flash drive. You just have to follow these steps to fix card is write protected error message:
- Well, in order to initiate the diskmgmt.msc utility, you have to first press Windows + R keys together to open the run command box. After if gets opened, type msc and then press Enter key.
- Next, you are required to go to the context menu of the partition that has to be formatted.
- After it gets done, go ahead with clicking the ‘Delete Volume’ and make conformations of the actions.
- Now, from the context menu, you have to make sure that you click on the option ‘New Volume’. Now you have to opt for primary partition and then leave the default parameters.
Solution #4: Disable Write Protection Using ‘gpedit’
You can remove write protection from SD card using gpedit. To do so, follow the below steps:
- You have to first go to Start and then go to ‘Run’ command.
- After this, you have to type gpedit.msc and then hit Enter key.
- Next, go to the Computer Configuration and then go to Administrative Template and the go to the System. You can go to the Removable Storage Access.
- You can then simply disable the option “Removable Disks: Deny All Access”.
- Now, make sure that you select Disabled or Not Configured to Enable Write Protection and then click OK.
- Next, if you want Disable Write Protection then select Enabled and then click OK option.
- Now just close everything and restart your PC.
Solution #5: Check The Switch
Check both sides of your memory card if you found a physical switch that is set to card is write protected. If this switch is set to the write-protect position then it is impossible to do any type of modification. You can read the data of the card but when you try to modify like delete or format the memory card then it displays this error message on the screen.
If you are using Mini or Micro SD card by inserting it to SD card adapter to connect into your computer then check the lock switch of an adopter. Mini and Micro SD card doesn’t have any type of lock button on it. If you are using a memory card adopter then you have to make sure that the switch is off if you want to modify the card data.
Solution #6: Scan SD Card
It is possible that the SD card is not supporting the features of transferring or formatting due to the presence of some harmful viruses. So, it is always suggested to first scan the SD card against a powerful SD card. For this, you can try the best antivirus tool to scan the SD card so that you can fix card is write protected error message and will allow the users to perform the essential actions with the SD card.
Solution #7: Check Property & Space
There is a chance that some content of your camera card is protected by you unintentionally, this happens when you change the property of a memory card to read-only. So check the property of the data and if any data’s property is found read-only then change it. To do this checking process, right-click on the content select Property-> Attribute click on the Read Only.
Solution #8: Repair The Switch
After switching it to off try to modify the memory card data, if this error message prompts then it is possible that on/off button of the adopter gets damaged. Sometimes due to any internal problem of switch, it leaves the card in a locked position. It means you cannot modify the card data without repairing it or using another SD card adopter.
Repair Micro card adopter or replace it with another fresh adopter to make your memory card editable.
Solution #9: Dealing With Other Types of Card
If you are using a memory card that supports card is write protected error message then you have to apply some other way to make it normal or remove write protection from SD card error. All of the memory cards don’t have a switch.
In the memory sticks, there is a switch present on the underside of the card which makes it more substantial to off and on the switch. XD and Smart Media memory cards come with a sticker that covers a particular area of the memory card that protects it and avoid anyone from modifying its data.
What Does It Mean When It Says SD Card Write Protected?
Well, write protection is one of the features on the SD cards and other forms of flash drives that used to prevent data stored on the SD card so that new data cannot be added. This feature exists just to ensure that no one can write over data on the SD card or can also not delete to make space.
When card is write protected is activated then you will be able to read the data on the SD card. It means that only write operations are restricted. However, you can remove write protection from SD card using the fixes mentioned above.
How Do You Format A USB That Is Write Protected?
In order to format a USB drive that is write protected, you can use Regedit.exe command. This command will help you format SD card or other external storage devices. Here are the steps you can follow to do so:
- First of all, you have to click ‘Start’ and then type Regedit in the search box. After this, you can click exe to open the Registry editor when you see that it is displayed at the very top of the list.
- Next, you have to navigate to the following key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
- After this, you can double click on the option ‘WriteProtect’ value in the right-hand pane of exe.
- You can then simply change the ‘Value’ data from 1 to 0 and then simply click the option ‘OK’ to make the changes saved.
- Lastly, you have to then close Regedit and then restart the computer. Doing so will connect the SD card again and you should find the write protection is removed and the SD card is no longer said to be write-protected.
If you have write-protected SD card with you and you get a card is write protected error message then it’s vital to fix card is write-protected error soon. However, you can easily know how to remove write protection from SD card by applying the above methods.
The above methods are so easy to apply that you do not need any technical help or knowledge to fix this issue.
Also, if you find that the data you have saved on the SD card has been deleted mistakenly then you can easily recover the data. Yes, using Memory Card Recovery Tool, you will be able to recover deleted photos or pictures from memory card or any other media files as well with ease.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.