Have you found that your storage drive has become write protected? Do you want to know how you can remove write protection from storage drive like external/internal hard drive/SD card/USB drive and restore lost data from such drives? Well, if you want the answer then you can go through this blog and recover data from internal/external/SD card/USB drive after removing write protection from the respective hard drives.
In the below sections of this blog, you will learn to fix write protected error message from removable devices even without losing any kind of data.
How To Remove Write Protection From A Removable Device?
Well, if you are having trouble that your internal/external hard drive becomes write protected then just try the best solutions to remove write protection from USB flash drives mentioned here.
But the solutions related to different removable devices vary from one to another. So, you can try the solutions as per your requirements. So, the solutions have been categorized into three parts. I am sure that these solutions will definitely help you remove write protection from USB flash drives.
Part #1: Remove Write Protection From Internal & External Hard Drive In Windows 10/8/7
Well, when it comes to remove write protection from internal & external hard drive in Windows 10/8/7 then you can follow the steps mentioned below. Here, you will get three options to do the removal write protection solution:
- #1: Use Registry To Remove Write Protection From Internal & External Hard Drives In Windows 10/8/7
- #2: Apply Diskpart Command To Disable Write Protection On Internal/External Hard Drive In Windows 10/8/7
- #3: Turn Off BitLocker Partition
Option 1: Use Registry To Remove Write Protection From Internal & External Hard Drives In Windows 10/8/7
If you use the registry to remove write protection SD card and also to know how to remove disk write protection, then this is the best option you are trying. Performing any wrong operation with the registry may remove and also delete the files from the internal/external hard drives, SD card, USB flash drives, etc. So, to perform the right operation, you can follow the steps below:
- First of all, you can connect the disk is write protected external hard drive with Windows PC.
- Now, you need to click on the option “Start” and then open Run dialog and then you have to type there Regedit and after that, you need to hit the “Enter” key so that it can open the “Registry”.
- Now, you are required to click on the option “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” and then Expand “System”.
- After this, click on the option “Current Control Set” you find in the System list and then click on the option “Control”.
- Next, you have to check the option “Storage Device Policies” and then change the digit in the DWORD value box into 0 and then simply click on “OK” option so that you can save the changes.
- In the last step, you have to exit Regedit and then reboot the Windows system to keep all the changes.
Option 2: Apply Diskpart Command To Disable Write Protection On Internal/External Hard Drive In Windows 10/8/7
You can apply this option to disable and then to remove external hard drive write protected mac and also to remove write protection from external hard drive. You can also perform this operation when you want to remove write protection from USB flash drive/pen drive/SD card. So, look at the below steps to know how to perform the operation:
- In the first step, you have to press “Win+R” keys together and then type cmd there and hit the “Enter” key. A command prompt window will then get opened.
- Now, you have to type there diskpart and then hit “Enter” key and diskpart window will be opened.
- In the next step, you have to type list disk and then hit “Enter” key.
NOTE: The disk number of the write protected internal/external hard drives, SD card, USB drive in Windows PC should be remembered.
- Now you have to type there select disk 0 and then hit “Enter” key.
- Next, you have to type there attributes disk clear readonly and then hit “Enter” key so that it can disable the write protection on the external storage device.
- Lastly, you need to exit diskpart window after the removal of external hard disk write protected is finished.
This above method will cleanup all the data that has been saved on the internal or external hard drive. In this case, you will definitely need a data recovery tool to recover data from internal or external hard drive after removing write protection.
Option 3: Turn off BitLocker partition in Windows
Generally, when you enable BitLocker on the external or internal hard drive partition then it will protect the files with its encryption feature. And in that case, you will not be able to do changes to the BitLocker partition unless the removal of write protection is operated.
So, to do that action, you have to follow the below steps:
- First of all, you need to open “This PC” and then right-click on the BitLocker partition or storage devices and then you have to select “Manage BitLocker”.
- Now you have to select the correct partition which is write-protected by BitLocker and there you have to click the option “Turn off BitLocker”.
- Now you have to wait and the BitLocker will automatically decrypt on its own.
- After this, you will be able to see the partition or external hard drive that shows BitLocker off. You can then manage the data on the partition without BitLocker write protection and then you have to save the new files to it again.
Part #2: Remove Write Protection From Pen Drive/USB Flash Drive In Windows 10/8/7
You can remove write protection from pen drive or USB flash drive with the help of two major alternatives. Learn how you can perform the operation to remove write protection from USB drive or pen drive with ease. So, try these options below:
- #1: Change Pen Drive’s Properties
- #2: Use Regedit.exe To Remove Write Protection From USB Drive/Pen Drive
Option 1: Change Pen Drive’s Properties
You can change the pen drive’s or USB flash drive’s properties to remove write protection from pen drive or USB flash drive. To do so, you have to follow the steps:
- Go to “My Computer” and under Devices with Removable Storage, you have to look for the pen drive device.
- Now right click on “Pen Drive” and then click the option “Properties”.
- After this, there will be sometime an option occurs like “Remove write-protection” in the pop-up box. You have to change the status of this option and then you need to try again later.
Option 2: Use Regedit.exe To Remove Write Protection From USB Drive/Pen Drive
If you are getting write protected flash drive error then it is not so easy to format or erase the flash drive or pen drive. Do not worry at all because there is a solution. Try to solve the problem of how to remove write protection on external hard drive error and then you have to format the write-protected pen drive or USB flash drive without any issue.
You need to first check if there is a switch on the flash drive so that it can disable the write protection. Or if you do not find the switch then you can also remove write protected pen drive with the use of Regedit.exe. Follow the below steps to perform the operation:
- First of all, you have to plug in the pen drive to a computer.
- Now you need to click “Start” on the taskbar just to open the “Run” command and then type in “regedit”.
- After this, you have to hit the option “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” so that it can expand the “System”.
- You can then find the “Current Control Set” in list “System” just to click the option “Control”.
- Last but not the least, you have to check whether there are a key namely “Storage Device Policies” so that you can change the digit in the “DWORD value” box into the value “0” and then you have to press “OK” to make some changes.
NOTE: Well, if you cannot find the key with the name “Storage Device Policies” then you should create it with the steps: Right-click on the option “Control” so that you can create a key and give it a name as “Storage Device Policies” and then right-click this new key so that you can open the “DWORD Value” and again name it as “write protect” and then double click it so that you can change the number.
After you finish all the steps, you can then exit the Regedit and then restart the system. Now you have to connect the USB pen drive again and find that it is no write protected pen drive anymore. After all these, you can then format the drive as usual by right-clicking on it in “My Computer” and then choose Format.
Part #3: Remove Protection From SD Card In Windows 10/8/7
SD card write protection is the most irritating issue if it is in use. After write protection, you are not allowed to delete or modify files on the SD card. However, on the other hand, it used to protect the original file and then prevents maloperation. It also remove virus from SD card easily.
But, it is quite hectic when there occurs a need to release the SD card space. Below, you can look at some commonly used methods to help you solve the issue of how to remove write protection from Pen drive.
Generally, there is a lock switch on the SD card’s left side and you can pull that switch to another side just to unlock. If the lock switch loses it can be removed with ease then fasten it or it’s time to replace the SD card.
But, you can also format the write protected SD card so that you can fix SD card write protected issue soon and to do so, you have to follow these tips:
Tip #1: First of all, you have to click on the SD card and then select the option “Format”. After this, you have to click “Restore device faults” and then begin to format SD card.
Tip #2: You can also format the SD card with the CMD option. For this, you have to click “Start” and then enter “cmd” there and then “Format D:/”. Doing so will complete the process of SD card formatted automatically.
Try these two options to remove write protection from SD card if your SD card fails to format SD card:
- #1: Remove Write Protection From SD card With Regedit Option
- #2: Use Remove Write Protection Using Command Prompt on SD Card
Option 1: Remove Write Protection From SD card With Regedit Option
Try to modify the Registry Information to remove write protection from SD card with Regedit.exe. And, to do so, you need to operate the below steps:
- First of all, you have to click “Start” option and then type “regedit” so that you can enter the Regedit Editor.
- Now you need to click the below option in turn:
- After this, just click the option “Write Protect” and set its value to 0.
After applying the above steps, you will be able to use your SD card perfectly.
Option 2: Use Remove Write Protection Using Command Prompt on SD Card
If regedit option fails to remove write protection from SD card then next you can try is disk-part utility. Make use of Windows command prompt to disable the write protected SD card with the following steps:
- First of all, you have to click the option “Start” and enter cmd. Now input the option “diskpart” just to open the utility.
- Now you have to type “list disk” and then press “Enter” key.
- Next, type “select disk E” and then press the key “Enter”.
- Now, you have to type “attributes disk clear readonly” and then press Enter key.
- After this, just enter “exit” and then press Enter key to end the process.
After performing these steps, you will be easily able to remove write protection from SD card and will be soon able to transfer the files or format the SD card with ease.
Apart from the above solution, you can try these below solutions to solve the issue of how to remove write protection from hard disk Windows 10:
#1: Check The Properties & Space Of SD Card: You can first right-click the “SD card” and then select “Properties” and then “Security” and finally select the option “Edit” option. You can then change the permission of the SD card on the options “Full Control” “Read and execute” “Read” & “Write”.
#2: Scan SD Card with Antivirus: To fix write protected SD card issue, you can run antivirus for scanning the write protected SD card. This method can also disable the SD card write protection.
What Happens If You Lose Data From It After Removing Write Protection Error?
Well, in this case, if you lose all your content; say, images or videos from your respected storage device then you can easily recover deleted files from microSD cards with the help of External Storage Data Recovery Tool. This will definitely help you restore lost data internal and external storage devices.
You can easily perform external storage data recovery using some manual ways or with the help of this tool. This tool is very easy to use and is available for Windows and Mac individually.
Steps To Recover Lost Data From Storage Devices
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
How To Remove Write Protection From Hard Drive Using Command Prompt?
If you want to know how to remove write protection from hard drive using command prompt if the drive or disk is write protected then you can try this. The steps mentioned here will let you know how to remove write protection on external hard drive using command prompt. So, without wasting any time, just try the solutions mentioned in the below section.
How Do You Format A USB That Is Write Protected?
Well, to format a USB that is write protected, you have to follow the below mentioned steps:
- First of all, you have to insert a USB flash drive into a PC and then open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.
- You can then type diskpart in the new command line window and then press Enter
- Next, you have to type there list disk and then simply hit Enter Here, the list disk command will display the disks present on the PC.
- Now, you have to type select disk X. Here, X is the drive number of the USB flash drive and then press Enter
- Next, type clean and then simply press Enter key and this command will delete all the data present on the USB flash drive.
- Now, type there create partition primary and then hit Enter This will create a new primary partition on the USB drive.
- Next, simply type there format fs=ntfs quick and then hit Enter
Doing so will format the USB flash drive with the NTFS file system. However, if you want to use FAT32 file system instead of NTFS then kindly use Format fs=FAT32 Quick command.
Lastly, type there active and then press Enter key.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My External Hard Drive Suddenly Write Protected?
Your external hard drive suddenly become write protected due to several unexpected reasons. Here are a few common reasons which enable write-protection on the hard drive:
- Encrypted hard drive
- Bad sectors
- Hard drive corruption
- Read-only attributes
- Alteration in registry or permissions by user or malware/virus
How Do I Format A Write Protected Hard Drive?
You can easily format the write-protected hard drive using free partition manager. It is a proper method for the circumstances where your hard drive is write-protected due to file system corruption.
This one is the powerful hard drive formatting tool. It can format 2TB hard drive to FAT32, format RAW or corrupted hard drive, as well as convert NTFS to FAT32 without losing data.
Using external storage devices for different digital media devices is so common but handling them with care is very important. But, some people make mistakes while using storage devices like external/internal hard drive/USB flash drive/Pen drive/SD card and more.
Sometimes, you get some errors related to these storage devices like write protection error and it becomes quite important to solve the issue of how to remove write protection on external hard drive Windows 7.
Also, if you ever notice that the data saved in the external hard drive is lost then you can try External Storage Data Recovery Tool. This is the easiest and the best solution you can try to recover deleted data from external storage devices in no time.
So, all the very best to you guys…..
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.