Receiving an “SD card read only” error message when trying to access the data stored within the SD card has become problematic for many users. Thus, if you are one of them who are facing read only memory card error and struggling hard to get rid of it then keep on reading this article.
This optimized article contains a few different ways to tackle this situation in a hassle-free manner.
However, while fixing this problem, if you found your SD card data gets deleted, you can use the recommended SD Card Recovery Tool to bring them back.
So, let’s get started…
- What Is Read-Only Memory?
- What Does Read-Only Do?
- Why Did SD Card Become Read Only?
- How To Fix SD Card Read Only Error?
- Recover Data After Fixing Read-Only Memory Card Error
- Tips To Remember
Before digging into the solutions on how to remove read only from SD card error, let’s know what Read-only memory is?
What Is Read-Only Memory?
ROM (Read-Only Memory) is a storage medium that is used in computers/laptops and other electronic devices. It is built-in and contains data that can only be read and cannot be written, modified, or changed.
This ROM is available in smartphones, USB drives, memory cards, hard drives, and other external storage devices. Hence the use of these devices frequently faces Read-Only errors.
What Does Read-Only Do?
Read-only is a file attribute or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. It means that the file stored on USB can be only opened to read, you cannot delete, modify, or rename any file that is read-only.
Why Did SD Card Become Read Only?
The major factor for causing a “read only memory card” error is the format of the file system. Several data storage devices such as USB drives, pen drives, and other external drives including SD cards come pre-formatted in NTFS because a larger number of consumers use them on the computer system.
Well, below you can find others reasons as well for this error:
- A lock tab is turned ON for the write protection.
- The physical write protection SD card tab is broken or damaged.
- The SD card file system is corrupted.
How To Fix SD Card Read Only Error?
Follow the below-mentioned SD card read only fixes to get rid of write-protection from SD card, USB drive, external hard drive, or hard drive and get access to your saved data.
Step-By-Step Solutions Guide
Fix 1: Check If Your SD Card is Locked
|If you are using a microSD card with SD Adapter, then…Complete Steps|
Fix 2: Run CMD To SD Card Read Only File System Error
|Since you are getting this error, so once you can run the CMD…Complete Steps|
Fix 3: Convert The FAT to NTFS File System
|You have to convert the FAT in to NTFS file system to fix SD card says read only…Complete Steps|
Fix 4: Run Check Disk Utility
|Running this tool will surely disable the read-only on your memory…Complete Steps|
Fix 5: Fix SD Card Read Only Error By Reformatting
|You can reformat it completely to make it back into read/write mode…Complete Steps|
Solution 1: General Troubleshooting – Check Your SD Card is Locked
If you are using a microSD card with SD Adapter, then make sure that the LOCK switch is Slide up (unlock position).
Alternatively, check your mobile or camera device settings on which you are using the SD card. Some mobile camera have a feature to lock memory cards. In this case, please check with your mobile or camera manufacturer for instructions to unlock it.
More information on a locked memory card can be found here: How To Get rid of Memory Card is Locked Error?
Solution 2: Run CMD To SD Card Read Only File System Error
Generally, a “Read Only Memory” simply means that the data can be read only you cannot delete, modify, or rename any file that is read-only.
Since you are getting this error, so once you can run the CMD command to solve it.
- Simply connect your SD card to PC using a card reader.
- Then, the Windows will allocate your SD card drive letter.
- Here, you have to press the “Win + X” keys together to bring up the dialogue box >> type CMD.
- From the appearing list, select a “Command Prompt”.
- Next, type the “DiskPart” >> hit “Enter” option.
- Now, type “list disk” >> hit “Enter“.
- Select a “Disk N” >> hit “Enter“.
- After this, type the “Attributes Disk” in order to show the attributes.
- At this time, type the “attributes disk clear readonly” >> hit “Enter“.
You can now open and access the data stored on your SD card, USB drive, hard drive or external hard drive. You will now be able to read, write and use the data saved on the storage devices.
Solution 3: Convert The FAT to NTFS File System
The SD card file system is called FAT32. Though you have to convert the FAT in to NTFS file system to fix SD card says read only. Many users have found this method helpful in their cases to solve this issue.
Here is how to change SD card from read only by converting the file system:
- Firstly, connect your SD card to PC with the help of a card reader.
- Next, click on the “Win + R” keys together.
- Under a run window, simply type the “cmd.exe“.
- After this, type the convert #: fs:NTFS/no security/ x & click on the “Enter“.
- Lastly, type “Exit” & hit on the “Enter“.
Solution 4: How To Change SD Card From Read Only By Performing Check Disk Utility
Another yet option that you can try to troubleshoot read only SD card problem is to run the check disk utility. Running this tool will surely disable the read only on your memory card. Therefore, follow the below easy steps to do so:
- Connect your SD card to PC with the help of a card reader
- Launch the File Explorer
- Locate your SD card & right-tap on it.
- Find and choose the “Properties” option there.
- Then, tap on Tools tab >> “Check Now”.
- Here, the utility will automatically check & repair the file system issues and tap Start.
Now, check if your micro SD card read-only fixed.
Solution 5: Fix SD Card Read Only Error By Reformatting
Well, to fix USB drive read only, you can reformat it completely to make it back into read/write mode.
Here I recommend a free disk formatting utility-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. With it, you can reformat the read-only USB drive to NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, or Ext2/3/4 in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista free. Moreover, it provides you with effective ways to format as well as repair USB drive is read only error.
Recover Data After Fixing Read Only Memory Card Error
After performing the above fixes, if you ever found that the saved data on your storage devices have been deleted, then you can use the External Storage Data Recovery Tool. It is a perfect software which will help you to restore stuffs from locked, write-protected or read-only SD card, USB drives or external hard drives.
This external storage data recovery software is available for both Windows and Mac. Let’s below find out it’s more amazing features:
- Restore inaccessible or lost images, videos and audio files from ‘read-only’ memory cards, USB flash drives & hard drives.
- Easily recover files from unreadable memory card, write-protected/locked memory card or unrecognized hard drive.
- Also extract data from Raw disk, read-only memory stick and even restore hidden files from external data storage devices.
- Preview recoverable files within software before you proceed further to save them on your system.
- 100% read-only program. Safe & secure to use.
Below, find out a step-by-step guide to restore photos, videos and audio files from read-only storage devices.
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
Tips To Remember
- After recovering files from the storage device, you need to format the memory card, hard drive, or USB drive file system into NTFS or FAT32
- You have to format the device, just to make sure that your device is highly secure for saving and protecting data as well as to make your SD card, USB drive or external hard drive reusable
- Always try to keep backups of your essential data.
Getting “SD card read only” error on your SD card, USB drive, or other external storage devices, then do not worry. Simply follow the above-mentioned solutions to fix read only file system error SD card problem right now.
Though, while resolving the issue on how to change SD card from read only, if you ever found that your important files have been deleted then, you can recover files SD card by using the External Storage Data Recovery Tool with ease.
Also, follow the given tips & tricks to avoid memory card errors in the future.
Taposhi is an expert technical writer with 5+ years of experience. Her in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. She has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.