This article will provide you the complete information on SD card read only error. Therefore, if you are getting this error while accessing your SD card on Windows PC, go through this post thoroughly. Here, you will get 6 proven ways to fix read only SD card errors.
However, while fixing this problem, if you found your SD card data gets deleted, you can use the recommended SD Card Recovery Tool to bring them back.
Step-By-Step Solutions Guide
Fix 1: Check If Your SD Card is Locked
|If you are using a microSD card with SD Adapter, then… Complete Steps|
Fix 2: Run CMD
|Connect your SD card to PC then type Command Prompt and press Enter … Complete Steps|
Fix 3: Convert The FAT to NTFS File System
|You have to convert the FAT in to NTFS file system to fix SD card says read only… Complete Steps|
Fix 4: Run Check Disk Utility
|Running this tool will surely disable the read-only on your memory… Complete Steps|
Fix 5: Fix SD Card Read Only Error By Reformatting
|You can reformat it completely to make it back into read/write mode… Complete Steps|
Fix 6: Modify the Windows registry key via Registry Editor
|Launch the RUN dialog box > type regedit and press Enter ……Complete Steps|
Before digging into the solutions on how to fix read only SD card error, let’s know something about this error and its causes.
What Does Read Only SD Card Mean?
SD Card Read Only is an error that you may face while accessing your SD card on Windows PC. When the SD card is in read-only mode, you will only be able to read or view your SD card data but not able to modify and delete the files stored on it.
What Causes Read-Only Error on SD Card?
There are several reasons that can cause the read-only error on your memory card. But, I have listed some of the common ones in below:
- Memory card is locked that enable the write protection on SD card.
- The SD card file system is corrupted.
- You might have set your SD card in read-only manually.
- Some specific programs or software make your memory card turn to read-only.
How To Fix SD Card Read-Only Error?
Follow the below-mentioned fixes to get rid of SD card read-only or write-protected SD card error and start accessing your SD card data again.
Fix #1: Check If Your SD Card is Locked
If you are using a microSD card with SD Adapter, then make sure that the LOCK switch is Slide up (unlock position).
Alternatively, check your mobile or camera device settings on which you are using the SD card. Some mobile camera have a feature to lock memory cards. In this case, please check with your mobile or camera manufacturer for instructions to unlock it.
More information on a locked memory card can be found here: How To Get rid of Memory Card is Locked Error?
Fix #2: Run CMD
Another solution that you can use to fix micro SD read only error is – Run CMD. By using this command prompt utility you can easily remove the write protection or read-only attributes from your memory card.
Here’s how to do:
- Connect your SD card (showing read-only) on your Window PC via an adaptor.
- Then, press Windows + R keys together to open the run dialog box.
- In the run box, you need to type Command Prompt in it and press Enter.
- Click on the desired result then type “Diskpart” & press Enter.
- Again, type the below command line & press Enter key. (All the drives connected to your PC will be listed here). Find your SD card that shows read-only error, & remember its disk number.
- Now, enter the following command, where “n” refers to a disk number, you need replace it with your SD card disk number, then press Enter again.
select disk n
- At last, copy & paste the below given, and press Enter to remove a read-only attributes from your SD card.
attributes disk clear readonly
As you will see “Disk attributes cleared successfully” on the window’s screen, then you’re done. Now, check your microSD card to see whether a read only mode has been disabled or not.
You can now open and access the data stored on your SD card, USB drive, hard drive or external hard drive. You will now be able to read, write and use the data saved on the storage devices.
Fix #3: Convert The FAT to NTFS File System
The SD card file system is called FAT32. Though you have to convert the FAT in to NTFS file system to fix SD card says read only. Many users have found this method helpful in their cases to solve this issue.
Here is how to change SD card from read only by converting the file system:
- Firstly, connect your SD card to PC with the help of a card reader.
- Next, click on the “Win + R” keys together to launch the RUN box.
- Under a run window, simply type the “cmd.exe“.
- After this, type the convert #: fs:NTFS/no security/ x & click on the “Enter“.
- Lastly, type “Exit” & hit on the “Enter“.
Fix #4: How To Change SD Card From Read Only By Performing Check Disk Utility
Another yet option that you can try to troubleshoot read only SD card problem is to run the check disk utility. Running this tool will surely disable the read only on your memory card. Therefore, follow the below easy steps to do so:
- Connect your SD card to PC with the help of a card reader
- Launch the File Explorer
- Locate your SD card & right-tap on it.
- Find and choose the “Properties” option there.
- Then, tap on Tools tab >> “Check Now”.
- Here, the utility will automatically check & repair the file system issues and tap Start.
Now, check if your micro SD card read-only fixed.
Fix #5: Fix SD Card Read Only Error By Reformatting
Well, to fix USB drive read only, you can reformat it completely to make it back into read/write mode.
Here I recommend a free disk formatting utility-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. With it, you can reformat the read-only USB drive to NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, or Ext2/3/4 in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista free. Moreover, it provides you with effective ways to format as well as repair USB drive is read only error.
Fix #6: Modify the Windows registry key via Registry Editor
When your SD card showing up as read only then try to fix this problem by modifying or editing a Windows registry key using Registry Editor.
Execute the below-given steps carefully:
- Started with connecting your Memory card to PC via card reader.
- Press Windows + R keys together to open a Run dialog box, & type “regedit“, and press Enter key to open the Registry Editor on your device.
- Simply, navigate to the below given path:
- Check if there is StorageDevicePolicies folder at the upper path, if you see this folder, simply jump to a next step. But if not then make a right-click on a path, then select New > Key in pop-up menu, & name it as StorageDevicePolicies.
- Again, Select the folder StorageDevicePolicies, and make a right-click on it, then click on New > DWORD (32-bit) Value in order to create the new value named as WriteProtect.
- Make a double-click on WriteProtect in a right window, then simply set a Value data to 0. At last, click OK to confirm your setting. Then close the registry editor.
- Now, remove your SD card safely from your PC, restart it, then connect your SD card again to your device to see if the read-only SD card error is solved or not.
Recover Data After Fixing Read Only Memory Card Error
After performing the above fixes, if you ever found that the saved data on your storage devices have been deleted, then you can use the SD Card Data Recovery Tool. It is a perfect software which will help you to restore stuffs from locked, write-protected or read-only SD card, USB drives or external hard drives.
This SD Card data recovery software is available for both Windows and Mac. Let’s below find out it’s more amazing features:
- Restore inaccessible or lost images, videos, and audio files from ‘read-only’ memory cards, USB flash drives & hard drives.
- Easily recover files from unreadable memory cards, write-protected/locked memory cards, or unrecognized hard drives.
- Also extract data from Raw disk, read-only memory stick, and even restore hidden files from external data storage devices.
- Preview recoverable files within the software before you proceed further to save them on your system.
- 100% read-only program. Safe & secure to use.
Below, find out a step-by-step guide to restore photos, videos and audio files from read-only storage devices.
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
Tips To Avoid Memory Card Errors & Issues
- After recovering files from the storage device, you need to format the memory card, hard drive, or USB drive file system into NTFS or FAT32
- You have to format the device, just to make sure that your device is highly secure for saving and protecting data as well as to make your SD card, USB drive or external hard drive reusable
- Always try to keep backups of your essential data.
It’s quite common to encounter errors and issues while using memory cards. SD card read only error is one of such error that users are experiencing nowadays. If you are also dealing with this error then keep implementing the aforementioned solutions to fix micro SD read only error.
However, while trying these fixes, if you find that some of your data are missing from your SD card then you can use the most reliable SD Card Data Recovery Tool. It will surely help you to get back your deleted files from your memory card.
Also, follow the given tips & tricks to avoid memory card errors in the future.
Taposhi is an expert technical writer with 5+ years of experience. Her in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. She has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.