Feeling difficulty while trying to access the data stored within your SD/memory card because it is corrupted? Struggling hard to troubleshoot this problem? If yes, this article will prove helpful to you. Here we have gathered some possible solutions to solve how to fix corrupted SD cards and recover data from them.
You can fix a damaged SD card by using the CMD command, changing the drive letter of the SD card, reinstalling the drivers, running the error checking utility, etc.
So, without wasting any time, let’s go through the steps on how to fix corrupted micro SD cards…
How To Fix Corrupted SD Cards?
Check out the below memory card repair aspects and apply them to solve this problem without any issue.
- Connect Memory Card To Another Device
- Change The Card Drive Letter Name
- How To Repair Corrupted SD Card Using CMD Command
- Format Memory Card To Fix Corruption
- Use Software To Format Corrupted Memory Card
- Reinstall The Drivers To Make Corrupted SD Card Detected
- Scan SD Card With Anti-Virus Software To Fix Corruption
- Use Drive Letter ‘Error Checking’ Feature
- Use Windows Troubleshooter To Repair Corrupted Memory Card
- Try The Solution Provided/Suggested By Manufacturer
- Replace Your Damaged Memory Card & Get The New One
Solution 1: Connect Memory Card To Another Device
In some certain cases, some of the devices fail to read your card or they just become incompatible. In such case, try to connect your card to another device such as PC, another phone, camera, etc. This may help you connect your memory card to the PC and hopefully, your memory card will work properly.
Solution 2: Change The Card Drive Letter Name
In some cases, your computer is not able to assign drive letter such as D:, E:, F: to your storage media. And because of this the files stored on it are not accessible.
To solve this problem, just change the drive letter name to your device.
Here follow the steps to fix corrupted SD card by changing the drive letter:
- Connect your memory card to your PC.
- Right-click on “This PC/My Computer” and click “Manage”.
- On the left side click on “Disk Management”.
- Now right-click on your corrupt card and then click on “Change Drive Letter and Paths”.
- Now change the drive letter name from the drop-down list and click OK.
Solution 3: Repair Corrupt Memory Card Using CMD Command
If you are unable to delete or move the files from memory card then it is possible that your SD card is corrupted. To fix this issue, you can try CMD command option. This will help you read your SD card access the data from it.
How To Fix Corrupted SD Cards Using CMD Option
- Insert corrupt memory card into card reader and connect it to Windows PC.
- On your PC, click START, type “CMD” in search bar and hit ENTER. A new command prompt window will get open.
- Now type the following command: “chkdsk /X /f H:” or “chkdsk H: /f” and hit ENTER. Here you need to replace H: with your card letter name.
This command will look for corruption in card and fix it if any found. On successful completion, you can check files stored with the card and you can easily re-use it.
Solution 4: Format Memory Card Using CMD Option
Formatting memory card may also help you repair corrupt memory card. So, to know how to format corrupted memory card, you can follow the below steps:
- Insert a corrupt memory card into a card reader and connect it to Windows PC.
- On your PC, click START, type “CMD” in the search bar and hit ENTER. A new command prompt window will get open.
- Now type the following command: “FORMAT D:/FS:FAT32/x” and hit ENTER. Here you need to replace D: with your card letter name.
- After this, the memory card will get formatted in few minutes.
Solution 5: Use Software To Format Corrupted Memory Card
Many users are not aware that manufacturers like SanDisk, Samsung, Lexar, Kingston, Sony, HP, etc offer their own level of tool for formatting and SD card repair purposes. Such a tool can be used to repair SD card and fix corruption and restore SD memory cards and USB flash drive to their full capacity.
You can get such tools by visiting the website of the device manufacturer or by contacting their support team. As per my own personal experience, these tools have been turned out to be more successful.
Here is the popularly used corrupt memory card repair tool that is – SD Card Formatter Tool 5.0 For SD/SDHC/SDXC, which can be used to revive memory card or to repair corrupted memory card not formatted error. This tool is available for both Windows and Mac computer.
Solution 6: Reinstall The Drivers To Make Corrupted SD Card Detected
Sometimes when drivers that run your card get corrupted and hence your PC is not able to detect the card. To repair/fix corrupted SD card not detected issue, you can reinstall the drivers by following the below steps:
- Click “This PC/My Computer” and then click on “Manage”.
- From the left side panel, click on “Device Manager”.
- Double click on “Disk Drive” from the list and right-click on the name of your memory card.
- Click on ‘Uninstall’ and click OK.
- Eject the card from the PC and restart your PC.
Solution 7: Scan SD Card With Anti-Virus Software To Fix Corruption
If your memory card got corrupted with virus, then in such case, you can scan your card with reliable anti-virus software to remove virus from the infected SD card.
Tip: There are chances that the warranty of your corrupted memory card or USB drive is still there. If the warranty is still valid, then in such case, you must contact your card manufacturer for replacement or refund. I am recommending this because it is not useful for putting faith in a corrupted card that might show up a problem in the future.
Solution 8: Use Drive Letter ‘Error Checking’ Feature
Error Checking is the inbuilt feature in Windows PC that used to scan for errors related to the file system and fix them. Below, you can try the steps to solve how to fix corrupted sd card without formatting using Error Checking option:
- In the first step, simply press Windows + E keys together to open Windows Explorer.
- Next, you have to right-click on the memory card and then open Properties.
- After this, you have to click on the Tools tab and then click the option ‘Check’.
The scanning process will start after applying the above steps and after the scan is completed, if any error is found then it will fix them.
Solution 9: Use Windows Troubleshooter To Repair Corrupted Memory Card
This special feature on ‘Windows Troubleshooter’ feature generally find issues and fixes that are related to hardware and drivers. So, to fix any issue related to your memory card due to which it became corrupted, try the following steps:
- First of all, you need to connect the memory card to PC.
- Next, you have to select and follow Start and then Settings and then go to Update & Security and then choose Troubleshoot
- After this, you can select Hardware and Devices and then simply click the option ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
After this, you have to restart the computer and hopefully, this will resolve how to fix corrupted SD cards.
Solution 10: Try The Solution Provided/Suggested By Manufacturer
Well, some of the SD cards manufacturers like SanDisk, Kingston, Samsung, etc., used to provide solutions in order to repair the corrupt/damaged storage media.
Therefore, you need to visit to the manufacturer’s site and download the software or contact customer support to solve this problem.
Solution 11: Replace Your Damaged Memory Card & Get The New One
If none of the above solutions helped you to solve how to fix damaged SD card, then the last option left for you that is to replace your memory card and get a new one.
How To Fix Corrupted SD Card On Android Without Computer?
If you want to fix corrupted SD card on Android without a computer then it is suggested to use the SD card that has been corrupted to another device. You do not need a computer to use corrupted SD card on another device on another device.
You just have to take off the SD card from the device where it has been corrupted and then insert that SD card to another Android device and check if it’s working. Also, check that the data saved in it can be easily accessible.
How To Recover Corrupt Memory Card Data?
Memory Card Recovery Tool is a special tool which is designed to retrieve digital media files from corrupted memory cards.
This card recovery software recovers pictures, videos and audio files from all kinds and types of memory card such as SD, miniSD, microSD, SDHX, miniSDXC, microSDXC, SDHC, miniSDHC, microSDHC, CF, MMC, xD Picture card, flash card, memory stick, SmartMedia card, etc.
And support all brands such as SanDisk, Kingston, KingMax, Sony, Lexar, PNY, Toshiba, Panasonic, FujiFilm, PQI, Samsung, Canon, Qmemory, Transcend, Apacer, PRETEC, HITACHI, Olympus, SimpleTech, Viking, OCZ Flash Media, ATP, Delkin Devices, A-Data, etc.
Below download Memory Card Recovery Tool and follow the steps to recover corrupted memory card data.
With the help of Memory Card Recovery Software, you can:
- Extract multimedia files from corrupt or damaged memory card
- Retrieve files such as photos (JPEG/JPG, PNG, PSD, GIF, RAW Images, etc), videos (AVI, MP4, MKV, DIVX, MOV, HD Videos, etc), Audio (AMR, WAV, MP3, FLAC, etc).
- Recover data from corrupt SD cards that got corrupted due to virus infection, water-damaged file system corruption, wrong usage, availability of bad sectors, etc.
- Support all types of memory card such as SD, miniSD, microSD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC, TF, CF, MMC, SmartMedia, etc of all brands.
Here, you can try the step-by-step guide to recover deleted data from corrupt memory cards.
How To Unhide Hidden Files Stored In Corrupt Memory Card?
If your PC is infected with virus and you connect memory card then it will hide all the data stored in it. The size of the drive may appear unchanged but you will not be able to see any stored media files on it as their attributes get changed to read-only or hidden.
You can follow the below steps to unhide hidden files stored in the corrupt memory card:
- Firstly, you have to connect your memory card to the system and then open Windows Explorer.
- After this, you have to click and follow Tools and then Folder options and then click on View.
- Next, you have to check-in Show hidden files and then folder & drives
- Now, uncheck Hide protected operating system option and then click the option ‘OK’.
After applying these steps, you will be able to see all the hidden media files and folder in the memory card.
How To Check If An SD Card Is Corrupt Or Not?
Check Disk Utility is the Windows inbuilt tool that is used to check SD card for errors. Using this tool, you can easily try the below-mentioned steps to do so:
- First of all, open Windows Explorer and then simply locate the drive assigned to the memory card. Now, make a right-click on the memory card drive and then click on the option ‘Properties’.
- After this, you can select the option ‘Tools’ and then click the option ‘Check Now’ found in the Error checking section.
- Now for scanning the memory card without modifying anything to the memory card, you have to uncheck the options – ‘Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors’ and ‘Automatically fix file system errors’. To fix this issue, you have to check ‘automatically fix file system errors’. To do a lower level scan of the memory card and to fix SD card errors if identifies, check both the boxes.
- Next, you have to press the option ‘Start’ to begin the scanning process. Now, after it gets completed, the result will be displayed on the screen.
- Now, you can simply click on See details to see more info about the scan.
This option will help you check if an SD card is corrupt or not and if any issue is found then it will fix corrupted memory card error.
[Tips] How To Prevent Memory Card From Getting Corrupted?
- Use branded cameras and phones to avoid these types of corruption.
- Never switch off the device when you are transferring pictures from the device memory card to the computer.
- Reformat the memory card at regular intervals depending upon how you are using the camera.
- Use the device reformat option or formatting the memory card doesn’t it via the computer.
- While pictures are being clicked do not switch to view or play mode option.
- Do not shoot the next picture when the camera is not ready or the previous picture is being written on the memory card.
- Make sure the camera batteries are properly charged otherwise you may even lose your pictures.
- Never eject the memory card when the device is on.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What Does Corrupted Mean On SD Card?
A corrupted SD card simply means that it prevents to access the data store in it. On the other hand we can say that, it becomes totally unreadable or undetected.
Is It Possible To Uncorrupt An SD Card?
Yes, of course, it is possible to uncorrupt or fix corrupted memory card by using the solutions mentioned above. You can use the CMD command, changing the drive letter of the SD card, reinstalling the drivers, running the error checking utility, and formatting the SD card to make them reusable.
Is It Possible To Uncorrupt An SD Card?
Yes, of course it is possible to uncorrupt or fix corrupted memory card by using the solutions mentioned above. You can use the CMD command, changing the drive letter of the SD card, reinstalling the drivers, running the error checking utility, and formatting the SD card to make them reusable.
How Do I Know If My SD Card Is Corrupted?
When your memory/SD card gets corrupted then you can see the below SD card corruption signs:
- Digital device fails to detect the card.
- Files saved in the memory card appear skewed, distorted or show an error message when opened.
- The SD card can be seen as the folder, however not all of the saved files appear.
How Can I Repair My SD Card Without Formatting?
In order to repair/fix corrupted SD card without formatting, you need to connect the SD card to PC with help of a card reader. After doing so, apply the below easy steps to repair SD card errors by using a chkdsk command:
- Go to the Start option >> select Computer.
- Look for a memory card under the Devices with a Removable Storage & note its assigned drive letter.
- Again, tap on Start option >> type the ‘cmd’ in a search box.
- Make a right-tap on cmd & choose Run as an administrator.
- At this time, one command window will open, there just type the ‘chkdsk’ followed via drive letter consistent to a memory card, then type: /f. (e.g., chkdsk E: /f)
- Last of all, hit the Enter. After finishing these steps, chkdsk command will scan and check for the possible errors and will fix them.
Can I Recover Files From Corrupted SD Card?
If you have previously created a backup of your corrupted SD card data then you can restore them from there. But, if you forgot to do so, you can go for expert-recommended SD card recovery software (mentioned one of the above sections of this post). This tool will thoroughly scan your corrupted storage media and extract the data from it. That’s why it is possible to recover files from damaged memory card with ease.
Since memory card corruption can occur due to several reasons and so, it is always suggested that you must get yourself ready to fix corrupted memory card on your own.
You can follow these 9 effective solutions mentioned above to repair corrupted memory card and repair and recover lost data from memory cards. You can recover data from corrupted memory card using Memory Card Data Recovery Tool.
I hope not all, but some of the solutions might help you to solve how to fix corrupted SD cards. It is also suggested that you must bookmark this page for future reference.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.