Let us Take Real Users Examples:
Phone won’t mount SD card
My phone is not mounting my SD card. I tried rebooting, taking out the SD card reboot power off put SD card in turn on, erase SD card (IT CANT EVEN DO THAT)
I can not switch roms
I can not erase SD card
I can not do anything SD card related.
Witch I don’t get because I have been listening to music all day.
Any tips on how to fix this?
– Original Post from Android Central Forums
Understanding SD Card is Mounted and Unmounted
People generally, get confused when they receive error SD card won’t mount on phone, camera or other digital devices that uses SD card as external memory.
When they get such error then they only learn the difference between – what is mounted and unmounted SD card means?
- Mounted – the SD memory card is attached, well connected and read by your phone, computer and whatever digital device you are using and card is ready to use.
- Unmounted – the SD memory card is not attached, not well connected and not read by the digital device and it can be removed from the devices without any damage done to the card.
Additional Reading: [100% Solved]: SD Card Show “0 Bytes” Space Issue!
LIst of Error Messages SD card won’t mount to your Android Phone & PC?
When you connect your SD card to PC or Android phone to PC, then it is likely that you may see the related error messages:
- SD card won’t mount
- SD Card Not Mounted
- CWM can’t mount SD
- Can’t mount external micro SD card
- Can’t mount sdhc card
- Can’t mount sdxc card
- Can’t mount emmc
- Can’t mount external microSD card
- F: Can’t mount /sdcard/
- F:failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)
- F:failed to mount /sdcard (file exists)
- F:Can’t mount /cache/recovery/command last_log emmc external micro sd-card
Additional Reading: Recover Files When SD Card Says “Folder is Empty”: [99.9% Success Rate]
How to Fix SD Card Won’t Mount Error?
In order to fix SD card won’t mount error, it is very important for us to know the reasons why SD memory card is throwing such error messages. Once you are able to detect the reason, you can then proceed further to fix the problem.
So, let us know the reasons and their respective solutions for Unmounted SD Card.
Note: Before you perform any solutions you must create a backup of your contents, data, files stored within the SD card on your PC.
Causes and Solutions for Unmounted SD Card
There could be several reasons for SD card not mounting on Android device and PC. It can be due to one or more reasons as mentioned below:
Causes: For SD Memory Card Problems
If your Android is not able to read your SD card, then there is problem in SD card and not in your phone. May be your:
- SD card got corrupted: There are various reasons that can make your card corrupt. You can find whether your card is corrupted or not from here – symptoms of damaged or corrupted memory card.
- SD card is physically damaged: If your SD memory card is damaged, then there is very less chance to fix it and you have to replace it with new one. Here find out – Which Memory Card Should I Buy?
- SD card got infected with virus: If your card got infected with virus or malware, then it is possible that your SD card will not mount on any device.
- SD card is not formatted properly: May be your memory card is not formatted properly. It is always suggested that you must format SD card before use.
Additional Reading: How to Open Memory Card & Recover Files Without Formatting It?
Solutions: For SD Memory Card Problems
In above situations, you can follow these things, may be this can fix the SD card not mounting issue:
- First, insert the card in another phone and check for the error.
- Second, use card reader and connect it with PC and check whether your PC is able to read your SD card.
- If both solutions fail, then there is a high chance that your SD card has got corrupted and you have to replace it with new one. But before that you can check below causes and solutions.
Additional Reading: Dead SD Card Data Recovery & Tips to Fix Dead SD Card
Causes: For Hardware Issues
The occurrence of SD card won’t mount error could be due to hardware failure.
May be your SD card is fine, and the card reader you are using is damaged, or USB cable you are using to connect phone to PC is broken or USB port of your computer is broken, or card slot got squeezed.
Solutions: For Hardware Issues
To solve above hardware problems, follow:
- Remove the re-insert the card and make sure that you have installed it correctly and properly. If it is not correctly inserted then, SD card will sticks out and will not snap into its place. And if it is inserted correctly, then SD card will fit properly at its card slot.
- Check card reader, USB cable and USB port and make sure they are not damaged or broken.
Now, hope your SD card get recognized by the device.
Additional Reading: How to Recover Photos from Android SD card on Windows/Mac?
Causes: For Software Problems
Software issues with operating system will also avoid your Android Phone and PC from recognizing the SD card.
Solutions: For Software Problems
There are two solutions that you can follow to fix SD card won’t mount on Android or PC.
Solution 1. Fixing SD card won’t mount on an Android Phone
If you are receiving SD card won’t mount error on Android smartphone, then below follow the steps to fix it:
- Switch OFF your Android phone. Remove the SD card and re-insert it back into SD card slot on the phone.
- Switch ON the phone. Go to Settings>Storage. Find the “Unmount SD card” option and tap on it to unmount SD card.
- Once, the phone completes the process of unmounting SD card, you can then tap on the option “Mount SD card”.
Hopefully, this will fix your problem.
Additional Reading: [Solved]: “Blank SD Card or Has Unsupported File System” Error
Solution 2. Fixing SD card won’t mount on PC
If you are receiving SD card won’t mount error on PC, then below follow the steps to fix it:
- With the help of card reader connect SD card to computer.
- Open “My Computer” and right-click the removable drive that show represents your SD memory card and select “Format” option.
- A new Window will open, click on “File System” and select “FAT32”, or “exFAT” or “NTFS” and then click on ‘Start” button.
All done! Now insert the card back to phone and check if problem is solved.
Additional Reading: How To Recover Media Files From Memory Card Using CMD?
Recovering Data from SD Card Throwing “SD Card Won’t Mount” Error
As mentioned above, you must take backup of your data stored within your SD card before performing any solutions to fix SD card won’t mount SD card issue. But if you have not kept the backup and if you have lost important photos, videos and audio files from the SD card, then you can use SD card recovery software to restore various files formats of pictures, songs, movies, videos and audio files from the SD card.
Free Download SD Card Recovery
Safety Tips For Using SD Card:
In order to avoid SD card error again, you must follow these tips:
- Always handle and use your SD card properly and carefully.
- Do not use the same memory card on different gadgets.
- Always keep backup of important files from your SD memory card to PC.
- Whenever you connect your SD card with PC, always scan it with updated anti-virus.
If you have found this post helpful and useful, then please do not forget to share it.