Learn The Effective Solutions To Fix SD Memory Card Keeps Disappearing/Disconnecting In Windows 10!
Summary: After going through several forums and community websites, I have found that there are many users out there who all are facing with issue of ‘SD card keeps disappearing/disconnecting’, ‘SD card disappears when copying’ or ‘SD card appears then disappears’ when they connect their SD card to Windows 10 PC. If you are also encountering such issues, then follow the solutions mentioned in this post to fix SD card keeps disappearing in Windows 10 by your own.
Tip: Before you follow the solutions to fix the issue of SD card disappear or disconnect, it is recommended that you must first retrieve inaccessible media files from your SD card. You can try best Photo Recovery which is suitable SD card recovery software.
With the help of SD card recovery tool, you can:
- Restore inaccessible, missing, lost, disappeared photos, videos and audio files from SD card.
- Retrieve media files from damaged, corrupted, undetected, unrecognized, unreadable SD memory card.
- Support all types of SD cards such as SD, Micro SD, Mini SD, SDHC, Micro SDHC, Mini SDHC, SDXC, Micro SDXC, Mini SDXC, TF, CF, xD Picture, etc.
- 100% read-only program. Safe, secure and easy to click.
Recover Inaccessible Media Files From SD Card That Keeps Disappearing
Coming back to the topic let’s start with real user practical scenario!
Practical Scenario: A User SD Card First Appear And Then Get Disappeared/Disconnect In Windows 10 PC After Few Seconds
Why does my SD Card disappear after a few seconds?
Really hope someone can suggest something new?
I have a Surface Pro 3 i5 running Win10 – all up to date.
I recently purchased a Lexar microSDxc 128GB card (a very fast one 633x) from amazon.co.uk
Popping it into the machine it appeared as I’d have expected and then a minute or two later just simply disappeared (not just from Explorer, but from the Disk Management interface – and from the Device Manager too).
I’ve so far tried the following (as recommended in various posts across the web):
- A different card (I have a 256mb card from a long time ago)
- Uninstalling/deleting the existing driver and allowing Win to install a generic one (which I’ve done and it’s still there) – as per the well-known reddit post
- Part removing the card from the socket
- Taking the card and formatting on my desktop to NTFS and doing it with a full (not quick) format
…but nothing helps.
Every time I put it in, I get the same behaviour – all fine for a minute or two, then simply disappears.
If it’s a dud Pro 3 I’m a bit stuffed since it’s out of warranty (I’ve never had need to use that slot before) – but there do seem to be an awful lot of people out there with something like this problem – anything I’m missing?
I’d really appreciate any insights or suggestions.
– Original Post From Windows Central Forums
Just like above practical scenarios, there are many SD card users who experience such problems. Their SD memory card gets disappeared or disconnect within few second.
So, now the question is – How do you fix the problem of SD card keep disappearing in Windows 10? How do you open SD card on Windows 10 that appears but get disappeared within few seconds?
Well, there could be various known and unknown factors that can be responsible for making SD card disappears in Windows 10, but you can easily fix the issue with the right solutions at right time.
So, here are those solutions that you can follow to fix/troubleshoot “SD card keeps disappearing or disconnecting” in Windows 10 computer.
Note: Below mentioned solutions is applicable for all types of SD cards (SD/miniSD/microSD/SDHC/miniSDHC/microSDHC/SDXC/microSDXC/miniSDXC, etc) of all brands such as SanDisk, Lexar, Transcend, Samsung, HP, Kingston, Strontium, Toshiba, etc.
Additional Reading: 2 Methods To Unformat SD Card And Recover Data From It
Solution 1: Remove SD Card And Then Re-Insert To Windows PC
This is the common troubleshooting that you must try when your SD card disappear or disconnect randomly. Simply eject the card from the computer and then re-insert it back to see if it reads/detect the card and does not disappear/disconnect.
Solution 2: Change The SD Card Reader And Reconnect It To PC
It might be possible that your card reader is damaged or not working properly and in this case, it is obvious that your SD card will not show up on the PC. So, change the card reader and then check if your SD card appears in the PC or not.
Solution 3: Connect SD Card To Another PC To Check If Its Shows Up
This is another best method to check if your card is working properly and it is not damaged or corrupted. Connect your SD card to another PC and see if it shows up stably over there or not.
After following above three solutions, if your SD card does not get disappeared or disconnected and you can easily re-access the data stored within it, then your problem is resolved.
But, if your problem still exists, then continue to follow the other solutions mentioned-below to get rid of this SD card issue now.
Additional Reading: [Solved]: SD Card Says It’s Full But It’s Not
Solution 4: Disable Windows To Turn OFF Mass Storage Device
If your Windows PC Turn ON the Mass Storage Device, then your SD card will not show up in your PC correctly. Hence, it is suggested that you must Turn OFF Mass Storage Device to disable this feature.
Here follow the steps:
- Press “Windows + X” to bring up the Menu and select the Device Manager from the list.
- Expand “Universal Serial Bus Controller” and click on “USB Mass Storage Device”.
- Go to “Power Management” tab and uncheck the first box that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
- Click on OK to save changes.
Now go to Disk Management and check if your SD card is displayed or not.
- If yes, then you can directly open the card and access the data stored within it.
- If yes, but not able to access data, then continue with below-mentioned solutions.
Solution 5: Change SD Card Drive Letter Name
If your SD card is showing up in Disk Management but not accessible then change the SD card drive letter name:
- Keep your SD card connected to your PC.
- On your PC click “Start” and type “Disk Management” in search address bar, the result will display Disk Management, click on it to open it.
- Right-click on your SD card and select the option “Change drive letter…”
- Rename your SD card drive letter name and click on “OK” to save changes.
Now check if your SD card is working properly and it is not disappearing or getting disconnected randomly.
If your problem still exists, then Re-install the card reader drive.
Additional Reading: Learn To Remove Shortcut Virus From SD Card
Solution 6: Re-Install Card Reader Driver
- On your Windows 10 PC, click ‘Start’ and then click on “Device Manager” option to open it.
- Expand “Memory technology devices” to see the card reader entry.
- Now note down the card reader make and model and then download the fresh copy of the driver from the official manufacturer of your PC’s or card reader website. If you are not able to see your card reader make and model, then contact your PC’s manufacturer.
- From the device manager, right-click on the card reader entry and then click on ‘Uninstall device’ option.
- Once card reader driver get uninstalled, restart your computer.
- Next run the downloaded card reader driver set-up and follow the onscreen steps complete the installation process. Reboot your system, if needed.
- Now check if your SD card appears in “This PC/My Computer”.
If all the above solutions fail then last option left with you is to format the SD card to NTFS.
Note: But formatting SD card will erase all data stored within the card. hence, it is recommended that you must first backup your SD card data to another location or storage devices first.
Tip: Recover Inaccessible Data From SD Card That Keep Disappearing
Open your SD card in File Explorer and restore all data to safe place or location.
But in case if your card displays access denied or inaccessible, then in such case, try Photo Recovery which is appropriate and powerful SD Card Data Recovery software that will help you to recover inaccessible photos, video and audio files from SD memory card that keep disappearing.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- [Solved]: Can’t Format Micro SD Card on Android Phone/Windows PC
- Learn To Recover Write Protected SD Card Data
- Learn To Use SD Card On Smartphones: Guides, Best Practices & More
- Solved: SD Card is Damaged. Try Reformatting it.
Steps To Recover Media Files From SD Card That Keeps Disappearing On Windows 10
Step 1 – Install "Photo Recovery" tool and launch it. Click on "Recover Photo, Audio & Video" tab to recover images, songs and videos files from any SD card, external USB drive or computer hard drive. Connect the media to your computer and then perform the process.
Step 2 – Select the drive from which you want to recover files. The external media will be shown in the list, if not then click on "Refresh Drive" button. Now select the desired drive to scan and then click on "Scan Now". If you want to customize the recovery on the basis of file types then click on "Advance Scan".
Step 3 – In the Advanced Scan you will have the option to scan as per to the file list, such as Photo, Video and audio or you can also select the data range from the storage device. This option reduces the scanning process time.
Step 4 – Once you click on "Scan Now" button the software will show that scanning is in process. The recovered files listed in a tree structure on the left side of the window panel.
Step 5 – After scanning, you can select the files to preview them and then you can click on "Recover" button to finally save them on your computer.
Step 6 – Select the desired location on your computer to save the recovered files.
Additional Reading: How To Repair Undetected or Unrecognized Micro SD Card
Solution 7: Format SD Card To NTFS
After you recover data from card, you can then move ahead to format your SD card to NTFS to make it re-usable again.
- Open Disk Management again on your Windows 10 computer.
- Right-click on your SD card and select “Format” option.
- Set file-system as NTFS.
- Click “OK” to start formatting process.
On completion of format process, your SD card should show up on your PC and won’t disappear/disconnect and work properly.
After going through the article, I hope you have got the right solution for yourself to fix “SD card keeps disappearing” on Windows 10 PC. However, if your precious photos, videos or audio files become inaccessible of your SD card, then it is highly recommended that you must try Photo Recovery software to recover them back.