Have you recently got an error message ‘CF card corrupted and unreadable’? Are you looking for a solution, but still didn’t get the perfect way to repair corrupt CF card?
What do you think if you can find the effective methods to repair CF card and make your card function normally without affecting any important files stored in it?
If all these questions your answer is ‘yes‘, then you are in the right place. To fix CF card corrupted and unreadable error, you have to just go through this tutorial till the end. Here you will learn the reasons for the CF card corruption issue and apply the fixes on how to fix corrupt CF card and the tips to avoid this issue in the future.
About CF (Compact Flash Card)
But, before proceeding further, let’s know more about the CF card. CF (Compact Flash Card) is one of the popular storage device that is used in digital cameras and camcorders to store pictures, videos and audios.
Sometimes, the CF card may corrupt due to several unexpected and unforeseen reasons. But, do not panic! Because this compact flash card corrupted unreadable problem is not that difficult to fix.
Now, it’s time to know the possible ways on how to resolve compact flash card corrupted/unreadable error without any hassle.
How To Fix A Corrupted CF Card?
No matter whatever the reason may responsible for CF card corruption, below you can find out the best fixes to repair corrupt CF cards on both the Windows & Mac OS.
How To Repair Unreadable CF Card In Windows?
Fix # 1: Solve The Error “CF Card Corrupted And Unreadable” Using CMD
To resolve the error “compact flash card corrupted or unreadable”, by using the CMD option. So, simply follow the steps:
- Firstly, you have to click the Start
- Then, type the “cmd” in the search box to open Command Prompt.
- Next, type “format X/P” command, where X is the CF Card drive letter.
- Now, hit the Enter to perform the command.
Fix # 2: Reformat Corrupted & Unreadable CF Card
Reformatting is the best solution to fix any logical damage in the SD card, CF card, memory card, and other storage devices. To do so, you need to just follow the below steps:
- First of all, insert your CF card into the card reader.
- Next, connect a card reader to the system with USB port
- In the window screen, choose the ‘Explore Files’
- After that, navigate up one folder until you can see the drive you just inserted. It should something like drive “H:”.
- Now, right-click the drive and press the “Format” option.
- Then, make all the settings are at the default
- At this time, make sure that the “FAT32” file system is set to format. This is the file system that CF cards require to be navigable by systems.
- Lastly, click on the “Format” bottom to allow the process to finish.
After following these steps, if your card is still showing an error message “CF card corrupted and unreadable” then you can try the next solution.
Fix # 3: Connect The CF Card To Another Computer
Sometimes, the devices fail to read your CF card because of incompatibility or any driver-related issues. In such a case, try to connect your compact flash card to another device such as PC, another phone, camera, and more. After doing so, you will be able to access your CF card with ease.
How To Repair Unreadable CF Card In Mac?
Fix # 1: Fix “CF Card Corrupted And Unreadable” Error By Using The First Aid
Well, First Aid is the most powerful way when it comes to resolving the disk-related issues. So, to fix broken CF card using First-Aid, just follow the below steps:
- Firstly, open the Disk Utility on the system.
- Next, choose the Compact flashcard from the appearing list at the left-sidebar.
- After that, select the “First Aid” tab that is located at the top of the screen to resolve this error.
If this fix won’t work then try the next method for CF card repair.
Fix # 2: Repair CF Card Corrupted And Unreadable Using The Disk Utility
To fix damaged CF card by using Disk Utility, you need to follow the below steps:
Step 1. Firstly choose the Applications by double-clicking on the Macintosh HD
Step 2. After that, go to the Utilities and then choose an option Disk Utilities
Step 3. Next, from the Utilities, select your CF Card
Step 4. Now, select the Erase and then, click on the MS-Dos File System (FAT 16)
Step 5. Lastly, hit the Enter to finish the process
What Reasons Are Responsible For CF Card Corruption?
Well, there could be various reasons for the CF card becoming damaged/corrupt/inaccessible.
Below I have mentioned the most common causes that can lead to a CF card corruption issue:
- File system corruption
- Physical injury to the card
- Bad sectors in the CF card
- Virus or malware in the CF card
- CF card gets corrupt due to power failure
- Due to removing your CF card while transferring the media file process
- When attaching the CF card to the virus-infected system
- Use the same CF card on several devices and operating systems.
Ultimate Solution To Recover Files From Corrupted CF Card
After fixing the error “CF card corrupted and unreadable”, if you ever find that all your essential photos, videos, and audio files get deleted then, you can easily get back deleted data from memory card with the help of the CF Card Recovery Tool.
This tool will help you restore lost data from external storage devices with ease. With the help of CF card recovery tool, you can also:
- Recover deleted all kinds of image file formats
- Get back lost videos file format
- Retrieve deleted or corrupted audio files
- Restore photos & videos from other external storage devices like SD card, microSD card, CF card, memory card, USB flash drive, external hard drive, etc.
- Preview recoverable files within software before you proceed to save them on computer
- Support SD card manufactured by various brands such as SanDisk, Transcend, Lexar, Strontium, Verbatim, HP, Toshiba, Kingston, Apacer, Samsung, Sony, etc
- Read-only program, 100% safe & clean and easy to use.
Steps To Recover Deleted Photos & Videos From Corrupted CF Card
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
Tips To Avoid “CF Card Corrupted and Unreadable” error
Follow the below essential tips to prevent “CF card corrupted and unreadable” error in the future.
- Do not add new files when showing a message “Card is full”
- Instead of deleting single files to empty your CF card, make a habit of formatting it at once
- Eject the CF card in a proper way
- Avoid using the same card on numerous devices
- Always switch off a digital camera before detaching the CF Card
Well, if you are getting an error “CF card corrupted and unreadable” then there are several methods available to repair damaged CF cards. Hence, in the above section of this blog, I have mentioned the easiest and fastest solutions to resolve unreadable CF card that you can try.
Apart from this, if you ever find that your CF card has been corrupted and the stored media files get deleted without your consent then, you can recover deleted files from CF card using the CF Card Data Recovery Tool.
Last but not the least, also follow the above-given tips and tricks to avoid further CF card corrupt files issue.
I hope this blog will be helpful to you.
Taposhi is an expert technical writer with 5+ years of experience. Her in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. She has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.