Yesterday, when I connected my USB drive to PC, I found that my USB drive not showing up on Windows. It makes me quite depressed. I started wondering that what’s wrong with my drive, why is it not showing up in File explorer. Unable to solve this issue even after a several effort. Can anyone suggest me how can I get rid of this issue?
Well, if you are passing through the same situation right now then read out this extensive guide carefully. Here, you will get the 7 effective ways on how to fix USB not showing up issue along with its possible causes.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s move ahead….!
What Does It Mean USB Drive Not Showing Up?
USB Drive Not Showing Up simply means that your drive is being disappeared from the Windows File Explorer. However, it’s possible that it might be visible in a disk management.
To check this, you need to go to My Computer/This PC then select Manage & then Disk Management. From here you can check whether your USB drive is showing up here or not.
Why Is My USB Drive Not Showing In Windows?
If your USB drive is not showing up in Windows file explorer then it might be due to following reasons:
- USB drive is not connected properly to PC
- Corrupted/Outdated driver
- USB drive is physically damaged
- The drive might be infected by virus/malware
- Due to file system errors
- Drive letter conflicts
- No partitions on the drive
As you have identified the reasons behind this issue, now the troubleshooting task becomes quite easier for you.
Before trying any complicated methods, you must try these basic troubleshooting tips to solve USB not showing up windows 10.
How to Fix USB Not Showing Up [Basic Troubleshooting Tips]
Here are the list of some of the basic troubleshooting fixes that will help you to fix USB not showing up in file explorer issue.
#1: Restart your PC
Many times, such kind of errors and issues being resulted due to the system malfunctioning. If it is so, then restart your system once to fix USB not showing up issue.
#2: Disconnect & Reconnect the USB Drive
Since your USB drive is not detected by your system, it’s possible that the USB drive is not properly connected to the PC. In such a case, you need to disconnect your USB drive from PC then reconnect it back into it.
#3: Connect USB to another Port
A corrupted or damaged USB port could often lead to USB not showing up in file explorer issue. So here, I will suggest you to connect your USB to another port and see whether the problem is solved or not.
#4: Check the Physical Switch of USB Drive (If available)
Some USB drives have a physical switch in its side, if it’s disabled your system will not able to detect your USB drive. So, if your drive has an external switch in it then make sure it’s enabled to deal with such error.
If the issue is not solve after trying this basic fixes then scroll down to the next section.
How to Fix USB Not Showing Up USB Not Showing Up Issue?
If your USB drive is not recognized or detected by your computer then go through this straightforward way to make your USB drive detectable again.
#1: Change the Drive Letter
It may happens that the USB drive you inserted in your PC has shared a same name with another volume that is leading to a conflict. That is why, your USB drive not shows up in the Windows File Explorer.
If this is the case, then assigning a new drive letter of USB can help you to solve this issue.
Follow these steps to assign a new drive letter:
- First of all, right click on My Computer/This PC then select Manage.
- In the computer management window, click on the Disk Management.
- Make a right-click on your USB drive then choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Next, click on Change option to assign the new drive letter of the drive & click OK.
#2: Update the USB Drive Driver
If your USB drive is not showing up in the file explorer but it shows up in Disk Management then you can use this method to fix USB not showing up windows 10 issue.
Here’s how to update the USB drive drivers:
- First of all, connect your USB drive to PC.
- Make a right-click on My Computer/This PC
- Next, select Properties > Device Manager.
- Now, click on Disk drives to expand this option.
- Find the problematic drive and make a right-click on it then select Update driver.
- Finally, click on Automatically search for driver software
Now, wait till the disk driver is updated. Once done! Just restart your system and reconnect the USB drive again to your computer & check whether your USB drive is detected by your PC or not.
#3: Create a New Partitions
If the USB drive is showing up as unallocated space in the disk management, it simply indicates that the USB drive has no partition & file system in it.
Such kind of unusable drive will not appear in the Windows File Explorer. So, you have to create a new partitions on the drive to address this issue.
Here’s how to create a new partitions on USB drive:
- Press Windows + X keys together then select Disk Management.
- Make a right-click on the unallocated space & select New Simple Volume.
- Now, simply follow the onscreen instruction to complete the process and that’s it.
#4: Uninstall & Reinstall the Disk Driver
Another method you can try to fix USB not showing up in file explorer is – Uninstall and Re-install the disk drivers.
Follow the step-by-step instructions to re-install the disk driver:
- Right-click on This PC/My Computer and select Properties
- Next, click on Device Manager then > Disk Drives.
- Make a right-click on your undetected USB drive & choose Uninstall device.
- A prompt will appear asking you to confirm the action done, then click OK.
- Once done! Just restart your PC and reconnect your USB drive in it. That’s it! Now the driver will installed automatically.
#5: Run Error Checking Tool
Error Checking is a Windows built-in utility that can be used to check and repair the disk related errors, issues and corruptions.
If your USB is not detected by your system even after applying the above methods then most probably, your drive is corrupted or damaged due to some reason.
Follow these steps to know how to use this tool:
- Connect your USB drive to a computer.
- Then, press Windows + R keys together to open the RUN dialog box.
- Type devmgmt.msc then click OK.
- Once the device manager window opens, locate your external drive, then right-click in it & then select Properties.
- Now, choose Tools tab then click on the Check
That’s it! Now the tool will start scanning your disk for errors and corruption. One the process is completed, simply follow the onscreen instructions in order to fix the found issues.
#6: Change the USB Root Hub Settings
Sometimes your system disables a connected USB to save the power. To confirm if this is not a case, you need to check your USB Root Hub settings by applying the below given steps:
- Press Windows + X keys then choose Device Manager.
- Then, double click on Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand this option.
- After that, make a right-click on USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) then select Properties.
- Next, click on Power Management then uncheck a box of Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power & Click OK.
Now check whether your computer able to read your USB drive or not.
#7: Fix USB Drive Not Showing Up Issue by Formatting the Drive
If your USB flash drive is showing up on Windows even after trying the above methods then your drive might get corrupted & needs to be formatted.
Check out the below given steps to know how to format the drive:
Please Note: Before trying this method, make sure to create the backup of your crucial data. This is because, formatting the drive will delete everything from your external storage device.
- At first, connect your USB drive to a computer
- Then, press Windows + E keys together to open a File Explorer.
- Locate your drive & make a right-tap on it then simply choose the “Format” option.
- Now, you need to choose a file system – NTFS and tick the Quick Format
- At last, click on the “Start” button to begin the formatting process.
Also Read – 10 Best Ways to Fix USB Drive Malfunction Error
How to Recover Deleted/ Lost Data from USB Flash Drive?
While trying to solve the USB drive not showing up issue, if you ever find yourself in a data loss situation then you can simply use USB Drive Data Recovery Tool to recover your lost data from the USB drive. This tool can recover all kinds of lost, deleted, missing or erased data from your external storage drive
No matter whether you have lost your data on USB Flash drive, External hard drive or memory cards, it can recover the missing data from it effectively. It is 100% safe and secure and is very easy to use. And it’s available for bother the OS: Windows & Mac.
So without wasting any more time, quickly download, install and use this software and perform external storage data recovery with ease.
So, just follow the step-by-step guide of this program to know how to use this tool.
FAQs [Frequently Asked Questions]
How Do I Force A USB To Recognize?
Here’s how to force your computer to recognize your USB drive:
- Run the Device Troubleshooter.
- Uninstall & Re-install the USB Controllers.
- Disable the USB Selective Suspend Setting.
- Check your USB drive on Another PC.
- Recover Data & Format your USB Drive to make it recognizable.
Time to Sum Up
USB Drive Not Showing Up is one of the common issue that you often face when you connected your USB drive to PC. You may face this issue due to several unknown reasons.
Regardless the reasons, this issue can be easily fixed by applying the afore-mentioned methods. All the solutions are very easy to apply, so you must try all of them accordingly.
However, while trying fixes if you come across through a data loss situation, it’s strongly recommended to use the USB Drive Data Recovery Tool. This software will surely help you to extract your data from the USB drive.
Taposhi is an expert technical writer with 5+ years of experience. Her in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. She has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.