There are lots of users who use USB drive to store their precious data. People get used to it but the major problem it let you face sometimes that ‘USB drive not formatted’ error even after the user format USB drive successfully.
But no matter whatever the reason is – you can get the solution here only. Here, in this blog, you will get to know what is USB flash drive not formatted error and how to fix ‘USB not formatted’ error.
USB drive not formatted is a kind of error that irritates users a lot because many of them do not know how to resolve USB drive not formatted error.
This error may occur when you try to access your USB flash drive such as pen drive, SD card, microSD card, memory card, external hard drive, etc to your PC but it can’t read your data at all. Your system will then tell you to format the drive if you don’t format it, there is less chance to get your data back. However, in some cases, if you format USB drive, the system will tell you that USB flash drive not formatted.
Well, if you get this error even after formatting the USB drive then do not panic. Here, you can go through some easy ways with the help of which you will be easily able to fix this issue soon. But, first of all, let us have a look at some causes due to which USB drive not formatted error occurs.
What Causes “USB Disk Is Not Formatted” Error To Occur
Several reasons are there that are responsible for getting ‘USB drive not formatted’ error. You can look at some of the major causes below:
- Buffers on the Windows disable external hard drive services
- Incompatibilities exist between your system and USB flash drive
- USB file system error
- USB is crashed or corrupted due to improper usage like unexpected PC shutdown, strongly pulling out the device, etc
Any of these could be the reasons behind getting USB drive not formatted error. However, you can easily fix this issue and recover lost data from USB drive by trying the methods mentioned in the below section.
Methods To Fix ‘USB Drive Not Formatted’ Error
After trying several methods, I found these below methods to be very effective to resolve ‘USB flash drive not formatted’ error. So, if you are one of the irritated users who got this error when you tried to access the USB drive after formatting it then don’t worry, just try them once and see the results:
Method #1: Inspect USB Storage Media
First of all, there is a great need to inspect your USB storage media so that you can easily fix this issue if it is something wrong there.
- Disconnect the connected USB drive from the system
- Now, press the Widows and X buttons simultaneously and then click the option ‘Disk Management’
- After this, you need to connect the external USB flash drive and then click the option ‘Cancel’ if format prompt appears on the screen
- Now, there is a need to check the USB drive partition, if it has a drive letter assigned. If it has not assigned then simply right click on the ‘USB drive partition’ and then select the option ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths…’
- Next, you have to choose and assign the new drive letter and then press “OK” and minimize the ‘Disk Management Tool’.
Method #2: Run CHKDSK Scan
CHKDSK is a special command-line utility that actually helps to fix USB drive errors like SD card errors, memory card errors, pen drive errors and more. It makes it possible to fix such issues by repairing system file errors due to which any such error occurs. Also, it marks all the SD card with bad sectors so that one can prevent their OS from storing the file on such bad sectors. Well, to run CHKDSK command, you need to follow the steps below:
Step 1: First of all, you have to press Windows + S and then type cmd there
Step 2: Next, you have to right-click on Command Prompt and then choose ‘Run as administrator’
Step 3: Next, type the below command and press ‘Enter’ key:
Chkdsk /r /f X:
Here, X denotes the USB drive letter
NOTE: If you get any error after you enter the CHKDSK command then it is possible that your USB drive is severely damaged or corrupt. So, in that case, you have to perform this last step:
- If the scanning process starts itself then let it get completed. This scan may take a while depending on the USB size, type and interface.
After the scanning is finished, you need to unplug the USB flash drive and then reconnect it. Next, you have to open the File Explorer and try to access it.
Method #3: Convert RAW To NTFS Using Disk Management
Another method that you can try to resolve ‘USB flash drive not formatted’ error is by converting the RAW to NTFS file system using Disk Management Tool. To do so, you have to follow the below steps as mentioned:
- First of all, you have to connect the RAW USB flash drive to your system
- Next, you have to right-click on the option ‘This PC/My Computer’ and then click on ‘Manage’ option
- Now, you have to Open Disk Management option and then find the RAW USB flash drive and then right-click on it
- Next, you have to mark RAW USB flash drive as “Active”
- After this, you have to open File Explorer and then right-click on USB Drive and select “Properties”
- Now, you have to click on the Security option then Advanced, Owner and then Edit. After this, you have to go to Other users or groups option and then Advanced and tat last Find Now option
- here, you have to select the first listed user and then click “OK”
After performing these steps, you will be able to use your USB flash drive with NTFS file system and the data saved on the drive will be present in the drive.
Ultimate Solution: Try USB Drive Data Recovery To Restore Lost Data From USB Flash Drive
Well, after fixing the issue ‘USB drive not formatted’, if you found that the data you have stored on it is no longer available then stop being worried. If you ever come across a situation like this then USB Drive Data Recovery Tool is there to help you out. This tool will ask you to perform a few steps and after trying them you will notice that the data such as photos, videos, music and more you have lost from the USB drive have been recovered. This tool is applicable to both the operating system; Windows as well as Mac. You can download the tool by clicking on the button below as per your requirement.
Step To Recover Photos/Videos/Music From USB Flash Drive
Step 1: Select Desired Location
Firstly, select the drive, external media or volume from which you want to recover deleted media files. After selecting, click on 'Scan'.
Step 2: Preview Recovered Media Files
Next, you can preview the recoverable media files after the scanning process is completed.
Step 3: Recover Media Files
Lastly, you can select the images, audio, video files you want to restore and click on 'Recover' option to save them at the location you want.
USB drive corruption is a very common problem that users generally face. However, when a USB flash drive gets corrupted, it cannot be accessed. Sometimes, when you connect the USB drive to the system, an error like ‘USB drive not formatted’ error may occur and using the CHKDSK scan and converting RAW USB drive to NTFS file system can fix the error.
However, you can also try USB Drive Data Recovery Tool to restore lost data from USB flash drive such as memory card/SD card/microSD card/pen drive/external storage hard drives., etc.
Hope this article will help you to get back lost photos, videos, music and more after fixing USB flash drive not formatted error. All the very best to you…….
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.