Is your Kodi won’t play videos? Want to fix this issue but still didn’t get success? If so, then read this troubleshooting guide and get rid of it.
Kodi is a popular, free and open-source media player used to play videos, audios, and other media files. You can use this streaming media player on Windows, macOS, Linux, or Android devices. No doubt, Kodi provides entertainment and easy video streaming but still, users face video playback issues from time to time.
So, today we have come up to share some tried and tested fixes to tackle Kodi won’t play video files problem.
In order to fix this issue, you can use Video Repair Tool, restart Kodi player or device, clear the cache of Kodi, disable hardware acceleration on Kodi and update it to the latest version.
Without any delay, let’s get started with the fixes…
How To Fix Kodi Won’t Play Videos Issue?
Kodi playback can fail due to various reasons like an outdated version of Kodi, cache & data, corrupted video files, or corrupted database files. Regardless of the reasons behind the unplayable video on the Kodi player, you can get rid of it by applying some of the best fixes.
Just check out the below troubleshooting tips to fix Kodi playback failed or playback failed Kodi with ease.
- Automatic Solution To Repair The Corrupt Kodi Video File
- Restart Kodi Player
- Reboot Your Device
- Clear Cache Of Kodi Media Player
- Disable The Hardware Acceleration
- Update The Kodi Add-ons
- Delete Kodi Database Files
- Update The ‘URL Resolver’ Add-on
- Update Kodi To Latest Version
- Enable the Unknown Sources
- Use VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Restore To The Default Settings
- Try Another Media Players To Play Kodi Videos
Way 1: Automatic Solution To Repair The Corrupt Kodi Video File
If your video file refuses to play on the Kodi media player, it might possible that your video file is corrupted itself. So, before trying any other techniques, you are suggested to try the most reliable and versatile Video Repair Tool.
It’s a powerful utility designed to repair a wide variety of video file formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV, MJPEG/MPEG, DIVX, MTS, MOV, AVCHD, etc. successfully in simple steps.
Besides, it can solve damaged, choppy, jerky, flickering, grainy, stuttering, or other video-related issues without losing its original quality. It offers to preview repaired files before saving them in your chosen location.
Therefore, download this feature-loaded tool immediately on your PC from the above-given buttons and solve Kodi won’t play some video files in a few minutes.
Step 1: Download, install and launch Video Repair software on your system. Click on 'Add Files' to add corrupted video files.
Step 2: Click on 'Repair' button to begin the repairing process. This start repairing your added video files one by one.
Step 3: You can click on 'Preview', in order to preview the repaired video file within the software and click on 'Save Repaired Files' button to save the repaired videos at desired location.
Way 2: Restart Kodi Player
Well, if we are talking about the best manual trick to fix this problem then attempt restarting the Kodi media player. Doing so will help you to solve small glitches on the player that are causing video playback problems.
If this trick doesn’t work, try the next solution.
Way 3: Reboot Your Device
Another basic trick that you can apply to deal with Kodi won’t play videos it to restart your device. Rebooting the device will fix device drivers or system files that result in videos can’t play on the Kodi issue.
No matter whether you are using Kodi player on Windows, Mac or Linux simply restart your preferred device and troubleshoot the problem.
Mainly we are focusing on Windows, so if you are a Windows user, follow the below steps to restart your PC:
Step 1: On your desktop, on a start menu, tap on Start Menu.
Step 2: Next, click on Power icon then tap Restart.
Once the computer restarted successfully, try to play your video again on Kodi.
Way 4: Clear Cache Of Kodi Media Player
Clearing the cache of Kodi player is another efficient solution to solve Kodi can’t play HD videos. It can resolve numerous problems in a single go.
Here is how you can clear the cache of Kodi:
- Launch “Kodi” >> go to the “Add-ons“.
- Open “Exodus” >> visit the main page of add-ons >> tap on “Tools“.
- Here you will get two options one is “Clear Cache” & another is “Clear Providers“, you have to use both.
- Now, you’ll be requested to continue. Click on the “Yes” option to proceed. You’re done.
You May Also Read: 4 Ways For Fixing AVI Index VLC Player
Way 5: Disable The Hardware Acceleration To Fix Kodi Won’t Play Videos
Many Windows and Android users have found disabling the hardware acceleration helpful in fixing Kodi playback failed.
So, you are also recommended disabling the hardware acceleration on Kodi’s interface. Follow the below instructions carefully to disable hardware acceleration.
- On your device, launch Kodi player.
- In the second step, go to the Settings simply by clicking a cogwheel-shaped image (top-left side corner).
- Tap on ‘Player’ option which you can see on left side of your screen.
- After this, if you’ve the older version of Kodi, this option ought to be named as ‘Player Settings.’
- Tap on a gear icon (you can get this at the bottom-left side corner) till it says the ‘Expert.’
- Now, you will get ‘Allow Hardware Acceleration’ option. Ensure to disable this option.
- After applying the changes, restart Kodi and try to play your favorite movie again.
Way 6: Update The Kodi Add-ons
It is essential to keep the Kodi add-ons up-to-date to avoid certain issues when trying to play video recording on the Kodi player. Thus, it might possible that your Kodi won’t play video files due to outdated add-ons.
Simply update the Kodi add-ons by following the below easy steps:
- At first, open the Kodi >> navigate to Add-ons section.
- Next, go to the Video Add-ons, here you will find the add-on you’re looking for.
- At this time, find and right-click on the icon & pick ‘Information’
- Finally, tap on ‘Update’ option to manually cross-check for the latest version.
After finishing these steps, check if the problem is solved or not. If not, move on to the next solution to fix Kodi won t load.
Way 7: Delete Kodi Database Files
Sometimes, it may happen that Kodi won’t play videos or clips due to old or corrupt database files. In such a situation, deleting those old and corrupt database files can help you to deal with the issue and play your video smoothly.
Here is how you can do so delete Kodi database files and tackle watch 1080p Kodi not working:
- Open Kodi app
- Then, navigate to app’s “ System Settings” menu
- Open a “File Manager.”
- In the fourth step, go to default ‘Profile Directory’ of the player.
- Navigate to a Database >> then tap addons.DB. (Please note down that, addons.DB file generally comes with certain numbers like addons20.db)
- Now, delete addons.DB file.
You May Also Read: [Ultimate Guide] Fix Windows Media Player No Sound MP4 Video
Way 8: Update The ‘URL Resolver’ Addon
Most of the time, faulty or corrupt add-ons can lead to Kodi addons won’t play videos. That’s why it is suggested you to disconnect the Internet first, open Kodi player, delete the newly installed add-ons, and update the URL Resolver.
In order to do so, try these steps:
- Launch Kodi >> go to the Settings. Next, click on ‘System’ button.
- Then, scroll down to ‘Add-ons’ tab >> click on the ‘Manage Dependencies.’
- Here, you’ll get the entry named as ‘URL Resolver.’ Choose it & then tap ‘Update.’
- Now, restart the Kodi.
Way 9: Update Kodi To Latest Version
Well, an outdated version of Kodi or any other media players can lead to unplayable video issues.
Thus, if your Kodi is outdated and you are facing Kodi doesn’t open or Kodi won’t play some video files issue then updating the player to its latest version might prove helpful for you.
Well, if you’re running the Windows 10 then it means you’ve installed the Kodi via Windows store. In such a case, you will have to simply update the Kodi player from a store itself.
Following the below steps, you can easily do so:
- On your desktop, launch Windows Store
- Tap on a Search button >> type the Kodi in a search field.
- Find the Kodi program & tap on it.
- After that, tap on a Get Now, the store will check if there’re any newest updates available for Kodi. If available, simply install them.
Once the steps are completed, check if you are now able to play your video.
Way 10: Enable the Unknown Sources To Fix Kodi Won’t Start Windows 7
As we have already said, Kodi is the most reliable and safest platform that provides entertainment. But sometimes, it happens that we permit installations from unfamiliar or any third-party sources due to which Kodi refuses to play the video file.
So, to make your video playable smoothly, you have to enable the unknown sources option. Also, you need to add essential Add-ons.
Here are the steps, how you can enable the unknown sources option and fix Kodi choppy video or Kodi stuttering video:
- Firstly, go to a Kodi player home screen >> tap on “Settings” which you can see at a top right side.
- Then, tap on “System settings” option from various options.
- Now, tap on “Add-ons” that are present on a left side >> enable the “Unknown sources“.
Way 11: Use VPN (Virtual Private Network)
Sometimes, Kodi videos aren’t playing when your ISP (Internet Service Provider) blocks your location. In such a case, installing and using any appropriate VPN can encrypt your traffic and make your video clip playable.
It simply means that VPN can help you to access any content which is blocked in your region.
Way 12: Restore To The Default Settings To Fix Kodi Won’t Play Videos
Restoring the Kodi to its default settings can also help you to solve Kodi can’t play HD videos or Kodi not working properly issues.
For this, simply install the Indigo add-on & follow the below steps:
- On Kodi home screen >> click on a “Factory Restore” option.
- There, you’ll be requested to grant permission. Just move ahead by clicking on the “Yes“.
- You need to wait until the process gets finished. Once it is completed reboot the Kodi player & import the media library to play videos without any interruption.
Way 13: Try Another Media Players To Play Kodi Videos
Last but not the least, if none of the above solutions helped you to solve Kodi won’t play videos issue, the last option left for you is to try another media player. Yes, you can use another media player to play your video file that you were unable to play on Kodi.
There are numerous media players available that you can install on your device to watch your beloved movie.
Some of the media players are VLC player, PotPlayer, Media Player Classic, 5KPlayer, KM Player, and many more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Won't My Videos Play On Kodi?
Your videos might not play on Kodi media player due to the following reasons:
- Outdated version of Kodi
- Maintenance cache could be an issue
- Corrupt or damaged video file
- Plugin issue
- Because of database files.
How Do I Play Videos On Kodi?
In order to play your favorite movie or video on Kodi player, follow the below steps:
- Launch Kodi and scroll down and find ‘Videos’ menu.
- Next, choose the ‘Files’ and ‘Add videos’.
- Click on ‘Browse’ option and find a video file that you need to play >> tap on ‘Ok’.
- Again, tap on ‘Ok’ to finish.
What Do I Do If Kodi Has No Sound When I Play Videos?
If your Kodi sound not working when trying to play videos, it might be possible that there is an audio settings issue on the player. So, you need to reset audio settings on Kodi to get rid of this problem. Here is how you can do so:
- On a Kodi’s home screen, tap on settings icon.
- Next, click on a System icon >> Audio on a left side.
- On a bottom left side, click on a Basic button 3 times to change to the Expert settings.
- Now, on a right-side panel, all your audio settings will be displayed. Here find ‘Reset above settings to default’ option and tap on it to reset all audio settings >> click Yes.
- Restart the Kodi player & play your video.
To Wrap Up:
So, we’ve reached at the end of this ‘Kodi won’t play videos’ article. Hope the above-provided solutions will surely help you to solve the Kodi playback failed or kodi won t load issue.
However, if your video clip refuses to play on Kodi, it might possible that your video file is corrupted itself. In such a situation, you are suggested to try the most reliable Video Repair Tool mentioned in this post.
Alex is an expert technical writer with 7+ years of experience. His in-depth knowledge about data recovery and fascination to explore new DIY tools & technologies have helped many. Alex has a great interest in photography and loves to share photography tips and tricks with others.