Have you just opened your SDHC card and found nothing it? Even after saving lots of crucial images and videos, you found nothing when you opened it? Well, it happens because it may be possible that it has been corrupted or damaged. All you need to do is to go through this blog and know how you can recover deleted photos and videos from SDHC card. Here, you will get the complete solution for SDHC card data recovery.
I bought a new 16GB Transcend SDHC card, put it in my old Nikon Coolpix L3 and took a number of pictures on a recent trip. Yesterday I stuck it into the SD card slot on my Windows 7 laptop and was able to browse the pictures without a problem. I rotated some of them using the default photo viewer, and it said “saving” when moving to the next picture in the slideshow. At the end of the day I pulled the card out of the slot. Today when I put it back in the computer, it says the card isn’t formatted. The camera says the same thing. Is there any chance that I could use some kind of recovery tools to get the pictures back?
About SDHC Card
Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards are flash memory cards having minimum capacity of 4GB. This card has similar form factor and physical shape as that of SDHC card. It is SDHC standard extension that has a storage capacity of up to 32GB. The higher the capacity, the more videos and photos these cards can store. The demands of the SDHC card has been increased because it is affordable and has an advanced high-resolution point and shoot digital cameras.
Apart from high-resolution capacity storage, it also has better data transfer speed. SDHC cards are reliable and have safe storage media for music, photos and videos. SDHC memory cards are great to store and capture the pictures and videos which you click when you go out with your family and friends on vacation and have some family function and other occasions in a digital camera. These memory cards are waterproof but, sometimes your audios, photos and videos may get lost due to several reasons. At that moment, you cannot even imagine that this can happen and also you cannot think of what to do to get back lost files from SDHC card. To solve your problem and to get out of this situation, you have to completely read this blog and know the best way to restore deleted images and videos from SDHC card.
What To Do Before You Start Recovering Deleted or Lost Data
Before you go for any recovery process, you should remember a few things:
- Never format your SDHC card after you lose your crucial data like photos and videos.
- Now try and find out a different card reader. If the SDHC card is inserted on laptop or PC and nothing happens then you should try a different computer or USB card reader.
If this happens then you can also search for backup of the photos and videos if you have ever saved it somewhere. If not then you have to use any powerful recovery software like SDHC Card Recovery or other alternatives. Here, you will get a list of solutions to recover lost/deleted/corrupted photos and videos from SDHC card
Methods To Recover Lost/Deleted/Corrupted Photos & Videos From SDHC Card
Method #1: SDHC Card Recovery Tool To Recover Lost Photos & Videos
To recover lost files from SDHC card, you can use try SDHC Card Recovery Tool. This tool is free to use and is 100% safe and secure. It is the professional tool and can able to recover all types of data along with images and videos from SDHC memory card. This tool is also very easy to operate because it provides some graphical instructions so don’t worry if you don’t have any technical knowledge. All you need to do is to just simply download, install and run SDHC Card Recovery tool to recover lost files from SDHC card. But you have to keep in mind a few things before you start using any recovery tool or trying any other alternatives.
Steps To Use SDHC Card Recovery Tool For Data Recovery
Step 1 – Install "Photo Recovery" software and launch it on your computer. Click on "Recover Photo, Audio & Video" tab to recover photos, videos and audio files from any SD card, external USB drive or computer hard drive. Connect the media to your computer and then perform the process.
Step 2 – Select the drive from which you want to recover files. All the hard drive and external media will be shown in the list. Now select the desired drive to scan and then click on "Scan" button.
Step 3 – Once you click on "Scan" button the software will show that scanning is in progress. The software will search for all multimedia files from your selected drive or attached media.
Step 4 – After scanning, all the files that are found in the selected volume, hard disk or other storage media devices are listed. You can now select the files to preview them and then you can click on "Recover" button to finally save them on your computer.
Method #2: Change SDHC Card Drive Letter Name
If you are unable to view your SDHC card but it is showing in Disk Management option, then kindly change the letter name of your SDHC card and the steps are given below:
- First, insert your SDHC card into the card reader.
- Then connect the card reader to your personal laptop or computer.
- Go to Start menu of your system.
- In the search address bar, type Disk Management.
- Click and open the Disk Management
- After that right click on your SDHC card and select the option Change Drive Letter and Paths for making changes.
- Now, you can easily rename your SDHC card drive letter name.
- Lastly, click the OK button to apply the changes.
[Note]:- Don’t forget to check whether your SDHC card is functioning properly or not. If your issue has not resolved, then kindly reinstall your reader driver once again.
Method #3: Repair Undetected or Unrecognized SDHC Card With CMD
There are people asking – How do I repair corrupted SDHC card that is not recognized by Windows PC? Well, if this is the case with you, then you can repair corrupted SDHC card and get rid of the undetectable, unrecognized or unreadable SDHC card issue by running CMD command.
Here are the steps that you can follow to repair SDHC card with CMD prompt:
- Insert undetected or unrecognized SDHC card into card reader and connect it to Windows computer.
- On your PC, click START, type “CMD” in search bar and hit ENTER. A new command prompt window will get open.
- Now type the following command: “chkdsk /X /f H:” or “chkdsk H: /f” and hit ENTER. Here you need to replace H: with your SDHC card letter name.
After this windows will look for the corruption and if any corruption found then it will fix SDHC card issues and recover data from it. On successful completion of the process, you can re-use your SDHC card without any issue or error.
Method #4: Use Disk Management To Format SDHC Card
Some people have also asked – How do I format damaged SDHC card that makes it unreadable or unrecognized on Windows PC, Android phone or digital camera? Well, in that case, follow the below steps to format the damaged SDHC card:
- First, connect your damaged SDHC card to your Windows computer.
- On Your PC, click Start and then right-click on “This PC” or “My Computer” and then select “Manage”.
- On the left side, click on “Disk Management”.
- Now right click on the SDHC card and click on “Format” option
- Perform a quick format.
Now after performing these above steps, wait for the format process to get complete.
Method #5: Try CHKDSK Command Prompt
Sometimes, you might face some error issues in your SDHC card and it is unreadable to your personal computer/laptop, then there is another alternative option to solve your problem. What you have to do is to run the CHKDSK Command Prompt and given below are the steps to perform this:
- First, you have to right click on the My Computer
- Go to Manage
- Select the Disk Management
- Locate your device in the external driver viewer and from here check whether you’re SDHC card is readable or not.
- If your SDHC card is readable then it’s ok or if it is not detected then follow the procedure of check disk option, i.e. run the CHKDSK Command Prompt from Run
- Now, press Windows + R key to open the Run
- To do this, type cmd the Run command and press Enter.
- Your CHKDSK Command Prompt will appear on the screen.
- Here you have to type chkdsk D:/f and press Enter.
- Else, you can also type chkdsk D:/f offlinescanandfix and press Enter key.
- By performing this, your issue will get resolved.
- Hence, your SDHC card is readable again.
Method #6: Re-Install Card Reader Driver
You can also try reinstalling your card reader driver to fix this issue. Following are the steps given below to reinstall your card reader driver:
- Go to Start menu of your system.
- Click on the option Device Manager and open it.
- In Device Manager, choose the Memory technology device
- From here you can note down the details of your card reader and after that, you can download a fresh copy of your drivers from the original website of the esteemed card reader.
- Now, after your card reader model is enabled, then right click on your card reader and select the option Uninstall device from here.
- Restart your computer or laptop after your card reader driver gets uninstalled.
- After that run the setup of the downloaded card reader driver and follow the complete installation steps.
- Lastly, kindly check that your SDHC card is displaying or not.
[Note]:- If all the above method fails to solve your issue then the alternative option left is to format memory card or SDHC card.
But if you will format your SDHC card, then you will lose all the data that are stored in your external storage drives like SDHC card or USB flash drive. Thus, it is suggested that you should always keep a backup of your data to other locations or any external storage devices so that you can easily perform external storage data recovery.
Method #7: Update SDHC Card Driver
If your SDHC card driver is not updated, then there is a possibility that your personal computer/laptop will not be able to detect your SDHC card driver. Thus, in this situation you have to update your SDHC card driver and make it legible again and to perform this, you have to follow the steps given below:
- Connect your SDHC card with your personal computer or laptop and then right on the My Computer
- In My Computer, choose the Manage option to proceed.
- Now, just click on the Device Manager option on the left side of the taskbar.
- Select the USB Serial Bus Controllers option and click on the plus “+” sign symbol.
- After this, you will find that a yellow color exclamation mark will appear on your screen.
- Now, choose the option Update Driver Software by right-clicking on it.
- Then click on the option Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Let all the drivers get installed and after the installation is completed, then kindly reboot your system.
[Note]:- Lastly, after all the steps are done then it will no longer give you error like unreadable SDHC card will be easily readable on your personal computer/laptop.
Method #8: Format SDHC Card To NTFS
After the restoration of your data from SDHC card, now you can proceed to format your SDHC card to NTFS file system for using it again and following are the steps given below to do so.
- Go to Disk Management
- In the Disk Management, first right click on your SDHC card.
- Then choose the option Format.
- After that select file system as NTFS.
- Click on the OK button for formatting your SDHC card.
- After the completion of SDHC card formatting procedure, make sure that from now onwards it is working properly.
Precautions to Avoid SDHC Photo & Videos Corruption:
There are many precautions that are available through which you can easily protect your SDHC card from corruption. Some of them are given below:
- Avoid improper removal process of SDHC card because improper removal a card can get corrupt. Always use the safely removal process to remove SDHC card from computer.
- Always keep some space free in the SDHC card to avoid corruption, SDHC card needs some free space to operate efficiently and without any trouble. So if your SDHC card display memory full message then immediately free some space to avoid any damaging.
- Install an updated antivirus program in your computer to protect your SDHC card from virus and other computer malware. Also, avoid connecting SDHC card to any virus infected or malicious computer system.
- To avoid unexpected system shutdown use a power backup option or UPS, this will protect your computer from unexpected shutdown due to power failure or any other reason.
- If your digital camera displays low battery option then avoid clicking images because due to this, SDHC card gets corrupt or inaccessible.
Photos, videos and music files are important for everyone and when they are lost from any storage media, then it leads people to panic a lot. However, to retrieve deleted photos and videos from SDHC card, users try out several ways but are mostly failed. When photos and videos are lost from SDHC card, there are still some possibilities to get back lost data with ease.
So, to try best recovery options I tried my best to provide you the perfect working solutions that you can try to recover deleted photos and videos from SDHC card. I hope you will not get disappointed after trying the above solutions mentioned in this blog.